WADACO - To add HU into Shipment

• 25 March 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16
  • Hero (Customer)
  • 547 replies

Community,

I don’t see this functionality exist in APP10, I am trying to add HU into shipment using scan gun. 

if you would like system to auto create the HU in shipment, packing instruction has to be defined at part no level, which is not what we want, we want system create packing instructions at site level, for example.

Are they possible in APP10 Upd 9?

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by Fredrik Johansson LKP 28 March 2022, 17:03

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi Ron,

To be able to help you I need to understand better what you want to achieve. What does the business process look like, what process steps do you have? 

Which scenario do you want to support? Do you have an existing handling unit in front of you in inventory and want to scan it and get it connected to the shipment? Or do you want the shipment to propose a packing based on all the parts in the shipment considering things like volume, weight and size? Other scenario?

Best Regards

Fredrik

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@Fredrik Johansson LKP 

Thank you for your reply.

1. our company was implemented IFS back to year 2004, on APP8. at that time, it was one company, one site. till now, we have 4 buildings, we are trying to implementing one company, 4 sites. 
  2. among the 4 sites (4 buildings), we have site S01, S02, S04 used for production site, S03 is for major production warehouse and distribution center. all production material is supplied from S03. S03 has 15 min drive from S01, S02, S04. S01, S02, S04 are pretty close to each other.
  3. planning network MRP is responsible for production site S01, S02, S04 material supply. system will auto generate distribution order among sites to drive the material flow.
  4. picking strategy - we are planning distribution orders are consolidated by due date, and each morning, picking list are printed, and warehouse worker could work on picking and packing and delivery job. Delivery truck depart from S03 every morning, returning the empty totes and collect the totes packed for production site
  5. each site is defined by route id. picking list is created by route id. picking list for S01, will never mixed with other site, e.g. S02 or S04. we are planning using different color of totes to stand for different site, for example, S01 use yellow, S02 use blue, S04 use S04.
  6. in the warehouse, site S03, we never use Handling Unit. and we never used IFS shipment as well. 
  7. we would like to use HU for the totes we packed.  but there are some challenges we are facing. 
    1. currently we are neither using shipment nor HU in the warehouse. 
    2. our Tote are all labeled in advance, so we could reuse them in warehouse.
    3. if we use IFS standard delivery, there is no way to attached the existing HU to the delivery.
    4. if we use IFS shipment, we could attach the existing HU to the shipment via IEE, but we cannot do it via handheld, there is no WADACO function to support this.
    5. if we could have IFS auto new generate HU ID, i think that is also fine, but the problems lies in the IFS. IFS can only auto generate the HU via packing instruction, but this packing instruction is tied at the part level. we need a generic HU only.

our request is quite simple. if we could have WADACO can scan the shipment ID and add the existing HU in shipment, that will work for now. alternate, if we could have system auto generate HUs without packing instructions, that also is fine.

correct me if i was wrong. Thank you for your time.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Thank you for your extensive answer!

I think you are correct that we don’t have the option to add an existing HU to a shipment in WaDaCo, not even in the latest version. Perhaps something for the future roadmap. Anyway I don’t think this is that complex, and could perhaps be considered as a customization?

One option could perhaps be to use the Create Handling Unit process, then you will get a new HU connected to the shipment, and perhaps you can use the Alternative Handling Unit ID to enter the persistent ID of the Tote? 

Regarding packing instruction you are also correct it is tightly connected to the part. In latest version we have a possibility to generate a packing proposal for multiple lines, this could have been something to evaluate if you had the latest version. 

Not sure if my comments helped you in any way?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@Fredrik Johansson LKP 

Thank you for your prompt input.

one question, Alternative Handling Unit ID, how much extent does this code play in IFS? can it be scanned instead of real Handling Unit ID?

Thank you.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Yes, you can configure WaDaCo processes to show and use the Alternative Handling Unit ID. Just realized that it might a problem with this solution as you will have the multiple Handling Unit IDs with the same Alternative Handling Unit ID. This means that if you scan the Alternative Handling Unit ID in a WaDaCo process, you need to decide which of those Handling Unit IDs comes into play now. We don’t have any indication that a Handling Unit ID is delivered and should not be used anymore, as I remember.