Question

Report picking of parts in bulk - WaDaCo

• 18 November 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Can the report picking by part support a bulk pick by part number?

For example, if a Customer Order has:

• 5 different lines for Part# XX-100 for a quantity of 5 each
  • These 25 pieces exist in one Inventory Location

Is there any mechanism that would point the user to go the Inventory Location and pick 25 pieces of Part# XX-100 as opposed to 5 different line items of Part # XX-100?

The business requirement requires multiple different line items as reports need to be generated in a specific format with unique tags being referenced on each line item.  Although this affects packing of the Shipment, the customer does not want this to impact Picking of the Shipment.  

I assume that each line will be treated like it’s own line number (i.e. unique demand) as there is no native function in the UI to support this requirement but curious if I may be missing something.

Environment: 23R1 SU1

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Can the report picking by part support a bulk pick by part number?

For example, if a Customer Order has:

• 5 different lines for Part# XX-100 for a quantity of 5 each
  • These 25 pieces exist in one Inventory Location

Is there any mechanism that would point the user to go the Inventory Location and pick 25 pieces of Part# XX-100 as opposed to 5 different line items of Part # XX-100?

Hi @astfarazt,

the first thing I can think of is to use Handling Units here.

You could try connecting the individual Shipment lines to a new Handling Unit via Shipment Handling Unit Structure on the Shipment header before any picking is done. Therefore once the warehouse personnel go and physically pick the 25 pcs from one inventory location, systemwise the 25 pcs are already in a HU, which WaDaCo can pick in one go via REPORT_PICK_SHIPMENT_HU.

However, if you need then to pack the parts separately systemwise per CO-line and not together as 1 HU, then that’s another story.

Br,

Mikko

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Thanks for the feedback, @Mikko K.

Yes, the challenge is not only the picking, but also the packing.  

The customer enters these Sales Parts as separate line items as they require unique packaging requirements with special labeling.

In their mind, they want the ability to go to the location, pick all the similar pieces but then take them back to the packaging station and pack uniquely (i.e. different HUs etc.)

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi @astfarazt ,

the fastest way, picking wise at least, I could come up with is this:

Using a configuration of REPORT_PICKING_PART and making it as it’s own Subsequent Process ID.

I didn’t change much in the Data Items from the out-of-the-box configuration #1, only changed the visibility of a couple of items, so the WaDaCo user sees the information.

This way the chained configuration runs through the lines one by one, but the user has to

1. choose the correct Pick List No only once
  2. then input Qty Picked as many times as there are LINE_NOs and REL_NOs available on the pick list
  3. I even left the Confirm Execution as FALSE, so if there’s 5 lines to pick, the user has to give input 6 times [=pick list no + (qty picked * 5)]

I don’t know if there is a faster way as WaDaCo needs input per individual line. Also if you have multiple parts on the source CO and their quantities are spread across multiple lines, but they are not in a tidy order, then using UNIQUE_LINE_ID forces the WaDaCo user to follow a pre dictated order, which might look confusing if the configuration jumps between parts.

Either way, picking can be fast, but then the packing is a separate issue.

Br,

Mikko

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Thanks @Mikko K., I appreciate you spending the time and testing this.  I will review and see if this could be a viable option.