Skip to main content
Question

IFS Scan It on Zebra VC8300

Hi,

we have a number of Zebra VC8300 devices in use in our warehouses and we would like to install the IFS Scan It application on them. Unfortunately, we get the error message that the application is not compatible with this type of device. 

This does not seem logical to us as the Zebra VC8300 is a new and common device on the market. 

Does anyone have any experience of running IFS Scan It on this Zebra device? 

Does IFS plan to support the Zebra VC8300 in a future application update? Or do we have to run IFS in the web browser?

Many thanks in advance for your support!

Best regards

Niklas

-------

Application: IFS Scan It https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ifs.cloud.ScanIt&pcampaignid=web_share

We use IFS Cloud

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi Niklas,

Which android version is that device using?
And exactly which scan it app are you trying to use, there is like 4 different scan it apps on android? one is for applications 8-9, 2 are for applications 10 and 1 is for all the cloud releases.

And what application version are using it for?

Usually the device should be supported as long as you don’t have a too old android OS or too little ram on the device, not sure why you get the error you get here.

@Rukmal Fernando do you have any info on why this happens for this Zebra VC8300?

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Ah Zebra VC8300 is larger vehicle mounted mobile device like what we used to call forklift PC, with a larger screen.

Not sure why the app is not allowed here, but for this case the Aurena web client is probably a better choice anyway if the screen is of the larger type then trying to use the app that is primary used by  smaller mobile devices with a much smaller screens.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

@niklas.wagner I assume you see this when trying to install via the Google Play Store? Can you confirm please?

If so, there’s one possibility. Based on the Spec Sheets, it looks like this particular device doesn’t have a built-in camera or barcode reader, but uses an external bar code scanner. Am I correct? Scan It declares that it needs a camera or barcode reader, but the Play Store might be blocking install thinking that it’s not supported.

If this aligns with your observation, can  you try sideloading Scan It onto one device to confirm this hunch please? you can either ask your Support Representative to raise a Ticket and request the latest Scan It APK file, or use a trusted and verified 3rd party APK downloading service to obtain the latest APK and sideload it. If this goes through, it would confirm that it’s the Play Store blocking this.

As far as I can see, t he VC8300 is a new device with enough RAM and storage, running a  recent release of Android.

CC @Dario Zani 

Hi @Dario Zani @Rukmal Fernando 

Thank you for your thoughts and ideas on this! 

We tried installing it via Play Store and yes, the device does not have a built-in camera or barcode scanner. 

I will try to sideload the app tomorrow with a colleague, I will give you feedback asap.

Thank you!

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

It seems like this check is some recent addition since there is customers that could install the app on VC8300 before from play store, but not now anymore. Feels like who ever added this check needs to remove it.

Hi,

we sideloaded the app and it worked. 

We also connected a compatible Zebra barcode scanner to the device, hoping that android would accept it as a full barcode reader and we could install the app via google play, but this did not work…

Feels like who ever added this check needs to remove it.

Has someone adressed this point at IFS? Or do we have to create a ticket? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

@niklas.wagner thank you for testing this and the confirmation. We believe we know how to resolve this, but the only way to really test it is through a submission since the check is done by the Google Play Store. Can you report a Support Ticket, and in there, refer to this Community Post and ask that it be expedited to R&D please? Please share the Ticket ID so that I can followup and fast track it through so that we can include it in the next IFS Cloud SU release and see whether it indeed resolves the issue.

Best regards,

Rukmal

@Rukmal Fernando thanks four your support! I will send you the Ticket ID via DM. 

The bug is now fixed, we can install the Scan It app via Google Play.

Thanks for your support!

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

@niklas.wagner Glad to hear this and thanks for confirming!