Question

Who should set up DB task schedules?

• 29 September 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Should database task schedules be “Scheduled By” end users or with a system account to simplify employee changes? Also, should we use &APPOWNER for this?

My understanding is that these should be scheduled by a generic system account, unless:

• The user ID needs to be on a financial transaction that gets generated by the task OR
  • The database task schedule needs to be changeable by the end user (e.g., turned on or off during periodic close).

Does this sound right or are there other situations? Also, should we system account should be used for scheduling tasks?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @CRUNDELL ,

We schedule all database tasks using the APPOWNER for us IFSAPP.  We do this for several reasons but one critical reason is employees leave but the background jobs still need to run.

Regards,

William Klotz

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

At my previous company, we set-up an account that was called XXX_ SCHEDULER (XXX substituted for name of company) - that way we could defernite between task / postings that occurred as a result of scheduled task and those that happened in the background as a result of an inter-site / company transaction.

It resolved a major issue with the Group[ Auditors when they asked why the IT Manger who retired 2 years previous was posting to the General Ledger.

It did take up an extra license but we were over licensed - well until they decided to expand without giving IT the heads up!

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

William, Mattew,

Thank you for the replies. Are either of your companies publicly-traded?

FYI, I am hearing that we have a requirement for certain user IDs to be listed on transactions that get created by the scheduled DB tasks so these have to be scheduled under individual IDs in these cases. However, I would like to find a way around this to avoid having to re-create schedules when users come and go within the organization.