Question

Proceeding and Trailing space chars in Apps 10 Aurena

• 4 April 2024
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Question: Why does IFS Apps 10 Aurena display an extra space characters before and after all data?

Background:

When viewing data in IFS Apps 10 Aurena, that data is always padded with a leading and trailing space character. See my example highlighted in Red in the below screenshot...

The approach to displaying data seems to be as follows...

=concatenate(“ “,TRIM{database_Value},” “)

I.e. Aurena takes the data from the database, Trims it (to remove any proceeding and trailing spaces which were actually present in the database) and then applies a proceeding and trailing space character before displaying it on the screen.

When selecting and copying data from the screen (e.g. to use in a search/filter, or to paste into an externa document) it is inconvenient and frustraiging to always have to manually remove those padding space characters.

Furthermore, this behaviour masks the true content of the database field (i.e. it is impossible to see if leading or training spaces have been entered into the database field, as any such characters are trimmed away before the data is displayed.

I would note that EE does not behave in the same way. Instead, EE displays the data without any trimming and without any padding characters being added.

While this is a quite minor issue, I do feel that the Aurena user experience would be enhanced if data was displayed without trimming and without padding with space characters.

Do any other IFS users share my frustration with this?

Can anyone from the IFS Aurena framework team explain why Aurena displays data in this way?

1 reply

Badge +4
Hello,When I check the same column of the same screen on our own server, I see that it does not return any whitespace data. If you are sure that there are no spaces in the customer IDs, you can check your screen queries.

view column: comment on column SHIPMENT.RECEIVER_ID is 'FLAGS=A-I-L^DATATYPE=STRING(20)/UPPERCASE^PROMPT=Receiver ID^';

Screen queries (with custom fields)

SELECT *
FROM (SELECT A.*
FROM (SELECT shipment_id shipment_id,
Shipment_Flow_API.Get_Allowed_Ship_Operations__(SHIPMENT_ID) allowed_ship_operations,
objstate objstate,
Shipment_API.Get_Consol_Actual_Ship_Date(PARENT_CONSOL_SHIPMENT_ID) parent_actual_ship_date,
parent_consol_shipment_id parent_consol_shipment_id,
Shipment_API.Get_Objstate(PARENT_CONSOL_SHIPMENT_ID) parent_state,
contract contract,
decode(approve_before_delivery_db,
'TRUE',
'TRUE',
'FALSE') approve_before_delivery_db,
DECODE(Delivery_Note_API.Get_Shipment_Dis_Adv_Send_Db(SHIPMENT_ID),
'SENT',
'TRUE',
'FALSE') dispatch_advice_sent,
Delivery_Note_API.Get_Delnote_No_For_Shipment(SHIPMENT_ID) delivery_note_no,
note_id note_id,
decode(auto_connection_blocked_db,
'TRUE',
'TRUE',
'FALSE') auto_connection_blocked_db,
Shipment_Flow_API.Get_Next_Step(SHIPMENT_ID) next_stepin_shipment_flow,
receiver_type_db receiver_type,
receiver_id receiver_id,
Shipment_Source_Utility_API.Get_Receiver_Name(RECEIVER_ID,
RECEIVER_TYPE_DB) receiver_description,
created_date created_date,
NULL objgrants,
'Shipment' luname,
'SHIPMENT_ID=' || shipment_id || '^' keyref,
'W/"' || objid || ':' || objversion || '"' etag
FROM SHIPMENT_CFV SHIPMENT
WHERE ((SHIPMENT_CATEGORY_DB = 'NORMAL'))) A)
WHERE ((CASE
WHEN shipment_id BETWEEN - 1 AND 1 THEN
REPLACE(TO_CHAR(shipment_id), '.', '0.')
ELSE
TO_CHAR(shipment_id)
END) LIKE '%' || '%' || '%')
FETCH FIRST 25 ROWS ONLY