Question

Update the description of Inventory Part

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

There is a checkbox “Use Part Catalog Description as Description for Inventory Part” under Inventory Part à Inventory Part identification tab which seems just a display of the checkbox for “Use Part Catalog Description as Description for Inventory Part” from the path i.e. Site à Extended Site Info à Inventory à General path for the field.

We are not able to control the checkbox from an Inventory Part à Inventory Part Identification tab for a single part and if we uncheck that checkbox from the Site then the rule is applied for all inventory parts and it allow users to change the text in inventory part description for all parts.

The requirement to change Inventory Part Description for some parts without changing the part description in Part Catalog field and without changing the setup in Site à Extended Site Info à Inventory à General path for the field “Use Part Catalog Description as Description for Inventory Part”.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi @Lumini Sahabandu I reported the case CS0079725 recently with a similar intention. The request is to fetch the part description from the active agreement [just like the rule that fetches the price] I believe the checkbox you mentioned has to be unchecked for this. We use some Inventory parts’ description on instances where we procure specialized services hence using part description independent of what’s there on the Part Catalog is important, I believe.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi again @Lumini Sahabandu as I was testing for the case CS0079725, I figured the check is is available in the next tab ‘Sales and Procurement’ in the Site and at least control it only for Sales Parts or only for Purchase Parts. I thought that might partially fulfil your requirement. Ideally it should have a setting at individual Inventory Part level. Then again I am not sure how big a development that is for IFS RnD =) Also I believe check box for ‘Inventory Part’ overrides both Sales and Purchase Part checkboxs too. I didn’t test that yet. 

As for my requirement, unchecking it only at ‘Purchasing’ subtab on the Site seems to be working since the Part Description I modified from the Agreement line goes onto the PO line level. So far I need it for all purchase parts in my organization.