Solved

Perform RMA for the serialized part

• 30 May 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Dear Community,

We are currently facing challenges in handling the RMA for the serialized part.

Let me provide you with a detailed overview of the situation.

For quite some time, we have been using a particular inventory part. However, due to a requirement, we needed to transition this part to a serial tracking. Since there were no available stocks of the part, we managed to successfully convert it into a serial-tracked item. Recently, a part was returned by a customer, but it was initially delivered when the part did not have serial tracking enabled. Consequently, we are now encountering an error when attempting to receive the part with a serial number.

We would greatly appreciate any assistance provided for this issue.

when I try to receive with Serial no, getting following error.

Part Master

icon

Best answer by Kanishka Dilana 30 May 2023, 13:15

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi,

By turning off the Stop Creation of New Serials in RMA, you can at least return as long as the RMA is not order connected. This is the fields description:

“If this option is enabled, it is not possible to return non existing part serials. By default, this option is enabled. If the option is disabled, you can create new part serial when you return parts as long as the RMA line is not connected to an order. It is possible to create new serials both when you return into inventory and when you scrap the part.”

Spontaneously it feels as if should be possible for order connected as well given your scenario. Anyway this might be a work around?

Best Regards

Fredrik

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Dear @Fredrik Johansson LKP ,

Thanks for your Time.

I have attempted that option as well, but unfortunately, it did not yield any favorable results.

Best Regards,

Rifas Raja

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @rifasraja,

When you enable Serial Tracking for Part with Existing Transactions, you get below information message,

Doing a Customer Order Return is also a Reversal Type Transaction, and that’s why you can’t Return the Part against Order connected  RMA after enabling Serial tracking. Hence, we can’t see this as a System Bug.

Actually, the second error you are seeing (I.e. Serial number XXXXX of part number XXXXXX does not exist in PartSerialCatalog error) is masking another error which says Serial no XXX was not delivered on the connected customer order line) so RMA return of a Serialized Part which was Delivered as a None Serial item is not possible at all. You’ll see it if you try the Return with an existing Issued Serial.

So, what I suggest doing is that, you Receive the Part against a Order-less RMA. Anyway, to get over the Serial number XXXXX of part number XXXXXX does not exist in PartSerialCatalog error, before attempting the RMA Return, you’ll also have to get a Part Serial Catalog entry created probably by Counting in and immediately Counting out the needed Serial No.

This may not look ideal, but given the situation you are in, that is the only Workaround type solution I could think of Otherwise, you’ll have to go for a Data repair kind of solution and thereby get the needed Serial Nos inserted in to Inventory Transaction History records corresponds to original Customer Order Deliveries and also get the missing Serial Catalog records created through a similar Data fix.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Dear @Kanishka Dilana ,

We appreciate the provided workaround solution, which is functioning flawlessly. Thank you for your assistance.

Best Regards,

Rifas Raja