Question

Closing an RMA

• 2 September 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

We have an RMA where the only thing we have on it is a charge line, no Return Material Lines.  That charge line has been approved for credit and processed.  We cannot get the RMA to close.  Any help would be appreciated.

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Tenecia.Seeley this is an interesting situation. Normally an RMA is intended to be processed through  the stages of entry, approval, and receiving or scrapping. After receiving all returned parts to inventory stock, or deciding to scrap the parts instead, the RMA will automatically assume the Completed status.

However your RMA has charges only. so the RMA  header dosen’t reach the ‘Return Completed’ state after you created a credit invoice obviously because there’s no part return. 

To solve your problem, the below thread has the answer. The suggestion is to just create a credit invoice in IFS from your initially raised invoice and amend the lines (to reflect charges only) without an RMA at all

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Tenecia.Seeley To complete an RMA process cycle, you will need to pass through the stages of entry, approval, and receiving or scrapping. After receiving all returned parts to inventory stock, or deciding to scrap the parts instead, the RMA will automatically assume the  Completed status.

The status of the current return material authorization. Possible values are Planned (when you have saved the RMA header), Denied (when you have decided to reject the customer's request to return articles and any charges), Released (when you have accepted the customer's request and you have not yet received any in return), Partially Received (when you have received part of, but not all, articles from the customer), Received (when you have received all articles from the customer), Return Completed (when you have decided, for all RMA lines, whether the articles should be scrapped or returned into inventory) or Cancelled (when you have decided to cancel all the RMA lines)

So bottom line it is clear that status Return Complete can only be achieved when you actually have RMA lines for which you process and either return or scrap them.

If you only use the RMA for crediting Charges, the status cannot be anything else than Released.

The main purpose of RMA has always been to handle physical returns. The possibility to actually create a credit invoice is just secondary functionality.

If you need to credit the charges, next time you can add negative charge line to customer order and then you can create a credit invoice.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Tenecia.Seeley , please keep me posted if my suggestion helped :)

Happy weekend,

Enzo 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@EnzoFerrari this will not work for us as we already issued the credit on the RMA.  Any other suggestions?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Tenecia.Seeley hope you have referred my above explanation. If you still need to close the RMA, you need to do a data repair.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Tenecia.Seeley now that you’ve issued credit I don’t see any other option but to do a data repair. Rather than changing it to the incorrect status ‘ReturnCompleted’ I suggest you consider changing it to ‘Cancelled’ 

You may raise a ticket to your IFS support team