Solved

Obsolete parts used in BOM's

• 18 January 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi, we have a product used in a lot of BOM’s (over 50 BOMs) that is becoming obsolete and will be replaced by a new product. What is the best way to replace this part in all of those BOMs with the new part number?

If the answer is that it has to be done manually, what is the best way to find all the places that the old number is in use?

Thanks

Chris

icon

Best answer by Phil Seifert 18 January 2023, 10:54

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi Chris,

Just trying to make sure I understand the question.  You are talking about item already existing and you want to know in which of those products where the old part was used on the product level?

If it is just on the product level, you should be able to look up which products contain the component in the BOM using the Product Center - BOM - Where Used.   This will give you a list of products that contain the part if you open the document for the old partnumber (in this case Phil-Component).

I am not aware of a way to automatically replace this part with another value in the using the application myself.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi Phil,

Yes, I forgot about the Where Used tab, thanks.

I was hoping that perhaps there was a process for changing one part for another or perhaps a way to set the expiry date in all BOM’s in one go, rather than having to go into each BOM and do it separately.

We’ll have a play around to find the best option.  It is something that happens from time to time so we need to write down a process.

Thanks

Chris

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Ok, please note, the to_date is not populated by the application until you add it yourself manually in the BOM.

I will send you a script to update the to_date for components which match the Product ID and the to_date is null so you can update a batch of BOM’s.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Thanks Phil, that will be a great help.