Solved

Can we prevent users selecting both Site and Customer in Customer Center

• 17 February 2023
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

V15.4

Is there any setting that we can use that will prevent users from setting on both the customer and the site sliders, in Customer Center.

In our processes, we do not allow to use one record for both site and customer but since we upgraded, we are seeing this happen more (I have no idea why), so would like to lock it out, if possible.

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Phil Seifert 17 February 2023, 13:37

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

We would welcome that as well!

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi Christophe and Bjørn,

I am not aware of a setting to prevent selecting site when the company is defined as a customer. or vice versa.

However, I could suggest you use security setup for the security roles so that only certain users are allowed to do this.  For example:

The is_site and is_legal will prevent the user from sliding either of the two positions if both are disabled.

This would prevent users from modify the site flag after the customer is created.

I can tell you if you allow NEW and both are sliders are disabled, the application defaults to Site as enabled but Customer is not enabled thus you cannot set both and only create new sites as shown below.

So basically disable the is_legal for security roles you do not intend to modify these settings.

This will not prevent customizers or users with bypass security enabled from doing it though.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi Phil,

Thanks you for the comprehensive reply.  The challenge we have is that the same users will create the customer and also will create the sites, so they will need access to be able to select either.

Well it was worth asking, thanks for trying but looks like the floggings will have to continue ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi Christophe,

I don’t give up easily but perhaps you can use a process flow to remove the site setting whenever the document is saved if the customer setting is true?

I am also inquiring with R&D if other options exist.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Chris,

In Miscellaneous I screen you currently have the field ‘New Customer Created As’ set to Site Only.  So when you create a new customer, Alliance will default is_site to ON and is_legal set to OFF.  With Customizer you can change the properties on the New Customer screen for the ‘Customer’ field to have a validation to disable based on the condition:   

Name is Site (is_site)

Operator is =

Value is Y

With this validation the field Customer is greyed out.  If the Site field is set to OFF, the customer field becomes active.  This will remind the user to create a customer or a site but not both.  there is nothing to prevent a user to set the Site field to OFF, then change Customer to ON, and then change the Site field to ON again unless you create a similar validation on the Site field with the following condition:

Name is Customer(is_legal)

Operator is =

Value is Y

I tested this on the New Customer screen in our test environment and this seems to work to prevent the creation of a new record.  However the New customer screen is bypassed with imports of data and this may not work for those cases, and thus you may still to revert to floggings.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Thanks Jacques,

Good idea however still leaves loopholes to get around it if they really want to… also interactive api could be used to create customers with the flags enabled as well.  There is always a way it seems..

From Chris’ statement and his desire to use flogging as an enforcement methodology, I don’t think he wants to allow it in any way shape or form enforced by the application.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Yes, thanks Jacques, this looks very promising so we will give it a try. I think our issue is more about people forgetting to turn the Site off after selecting the Customer, so this should work well.

This should mean less floggings, so perhaps we can double up on those that still find a way to get it wrong :)

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi Both,

We tested Jacques suggestion and it works really well.  Thanks Jacques.

We went for the two way validation, so one thing to watch out for is that you need to clean up any that have both set first, because you cannot do anything to fix those after implementing this (both stuck on and disabled).

Thanks again, perfect solution.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Great to hear, Chris.

i did receive confirmation from R&D there definitely is not an application setting dedicated to preventing both from being enabled at the same time.

I am glad Jacques suggestion to use Customizer worked out to achieve what you mostly needed and shows the value of Community to help each other!

Thanks @Jacques Cormier !

Kind regards,

Phil