Solved

Warehouse Location Picking Sequence

• 28 September 2021
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hello all,

I am interested in knowing how or if it is possible to assign a picking sequence for a warehouse bay. In my example I have bay L15, row 1-32 and tier 1-3. I want IFS to start picking from row 32 then 31 then 30… etc. and work it’s way down to 1 because the shipping area is closer to row 32. Logistically that is optimal. Tier does not matter, only row. Furthermore this is a gravitational rack that fits 7 pallets in depth if this information is needed.

How do I set up this kind of sequencing if possible?

icon

Best answer by Vimukthi Mahakumbura 28 September 2021, 18:57

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi, 

What I can think of is, defining Putaway zones for the rows and selecting ‘Highest Putaway Zone Ranking’ in the Automatic Reservation. 

• Highest Putaway Zone Ranking - the part is reserved on locations that have the highest ranking of putaway zone for the part.

Since your question is about Picking. What is reserved will be picked. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Thank you for the answer. This is how I have set it up today but for the whole row. Because of how many different part numbers are being put in the rack I just want IFS to start filling the rack from row 32 and go to 1. Without setting 32 storage zones. Is that not possible?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi.

Ok. 

In that case I think you can use the Route Orders for your Rows. 

Higher Route Order will be selected first. 

I didnt test this with a complex data setup. But in a simpler setting, the reservation was made from the higher Route Order. 

I think this should help you.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

So this means that when creating a transport task, by using route order correctly, the transport task will select row (if empty) 32, then 31, then 30… etc. Or is route order only used when picking from the location?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@Erik ROL it is considered for Reservations first. What is Reserved will be picked. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

I see, then I guess the problem remains unsolved. Because your first suggestion is what we want. But it is not possible for us to maintain that and we cannot use it in the way you described. But we want the same thing as you described. Do you know what, besides the ranking decides where IFS puts the transport task? When we test, when have one storage zone for the entire row, 1-32. We can’t figure out what decides which location in the 1-32 the transport task chooses. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi, I dont think I understood your last email clear enough. To know where IFS puts the transport task, I think you should look at the Automatic Reservation logic. F1 Help doc has this explained in detail. You can check it. 

You initially mentioned you only want to select by the rows, but now it seems you want to decide what is picked by the row too. (according to the last sentence)

I think route order would work for you, because you can pick what is reserved. 

But maybe I didnt understand you clear enough :)

Thanks. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hopefully this explanation will clarify!

We have a storage zone for Bay L15 Row 1-32 for several inventory parts. When production reports a full pallet. We want the transport task created to start filling the rows from 32 first and move towards 1. Since we use FIFO picking will be decided from that method. Route order is not applicable in our case. IFS should try to fill from 32 and move towards 1 in order to keep the rows closest to the shipping area filled before choosing rows with a lower number. From our point of view this creates an unwanted distance for the shipping department to move the goods. Setting up 32 storage zones and ranking them in Putaway Zones is not an option.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi, so now you give information about filling. As I understood, you need to fill starting from row 32. And also start picking from the same and you are using FIFO.
To fill starting from 32, you will have to define Putaway zones and assign priorities correctly. Cannot think of another way of doing it. 
And to make sure you start picking from the 32 based on FIFO, you can define the Reserving priority in the site for FIFO,

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hello again,
Unfortunately defining put away zones for this is not an option (it will be almost 2000 zones for the bay). Picking is not the priority. But the more you can try to always fill from 32 and down, the closer it will always be for the shipping department as it empties and gets refilled closer to 32. 

Thank you for your help in the matter.