Question

WaDaCo GS1

• 6 March 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

I am attempting to set up warehouse data capture functionality in IFS apps 10 and need help in understanding what the correct GS1 format should be for simple transactions. Firstly when creating GS1 barcode does the AI leader require ( ) or not, secondly the ASCII code 29 (GS) is this also required to be set inside ( )? The Hand Held device I am pairing with IFS is A Zebra unit this is picking up the data string  and showing clearly the AI and the GS. Is there anyone within the community that can advise how to get the GS1 structure working? Any advice greatly appreciated.

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Please refer the Data Collection Basic Data window.

The Help text says as below.

The FNC1 separator character used when a GS1 barcode is scanned. A GS1 barcode that contain a variable-length data element, that is not the last field, must have a delimiter following the last data character to indicate where that data character ends, and the following data element begins. The Group Separator character, ASCII value 29, is used as a default value in the GS1 standard. Please note that this is not a visible character in the scanned barcode string. In the scanning device, the character representing the separator can be re-defined. For example, the ASCII value 93 can be used which corresponds to the "]" character.

Note: The FNC1 Separator can be set on the Data Collection Basic Data/General tab, a configuration specific value can be set on the Data Collection Configuration/General tab. Changes to the basic data value will only affect new configurations copied after a new value has been saved.

Hope this will help.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi Tom,

You can find a lot of information on the GS1 standard online, like https://www.gs1.org/docs/barcodes/GS1_General_Specifications.pdf 

Generally GS1 items are either fixed length (don’t need  FNC1 separator) or they have dynamic/max length (need FNC1 separator), so it depends on which AI Code you have chosen in your barcode.

This information is in the system, unfortunately its not visible in the GS1 Application Identifier List of Value (it should have been visible there but have been missed for some reason). You can access all information about the different AI codes by running this SQL select  SELECT * FROM Data_Capture_GS1_AI, there you can see if its FNC1 required or not.

Badge +1

Hi All,

Thank you for your assistance already however no luck so far in fixing the problem.

I am trying to use a standard vendor label structure GS1 data matrix with all the associated AI fields and ASCII 29 terminator - I am now being informed that the IFS apps 10 cannot work with this format even though the help file states it can? Do I need to switch to a GS1 qr barcode?

Is there any barcode alternatives out there that can be used in IFS apps 10 such as a standard ITF - 14 or UPC-8. 

What type of barcodes are typically used for creating internal labelling for warehouse locations, goods receipts pick list number etc in apps 10?

lots of questions here listed but really need some good advice as to a way forward.

Thank you IFS community for pausing to read and even more for your responses.

All advice greatly welcomed.

have a good day all.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @Tombradbury ,

I’ve attached the bartender label for you to look at and try scanning with your barcode scanners.

The barcodes on the label are 1D and should work with most barcode scanners.

Regards,

William Klotz

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @Tombradbury ,

Here’s screenshots of our Find Inventory data collection configuration setup.

We can a 1D barcode using Code 128 and the barcode is the Part Number we do not scan the GTIN yet although we have tested them and they work but right now using GTIN is disabled for us.

If you can get the Find Inventory working using the 1D barcode we can build on it to maybe get the GS1 working afterwards.

Regards,

William Klotz

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi Tom,

I'm not aware that we are not supporting GS1 Datamatrix barcode, the only thing I know that we are not supporting is the GS1 Composite barcode due to its format. We even increased the item value size on variables and fields from 200 to 4000 during the development of the GS1 support in Apps10, since a GS1 Datamatrix barcode can be up to 3100+ characters in some cases.

But I might have an idea why you are saying that, what scanning client are you using?

I'm asking since recently we got a support case about the newly added Aurena Native Apps (for iOS, Android and Windows), where these clients didn’t support more than 200 characters in the barcode, we then also found out that the Native framework at the moment have a limitation of 400 characters, so this have been reported to the framework and hopefully it will be fixed soon. So after that I would guess that a large GS1 Datamatrix barcode would work on those clients. But while waiting, I hope that the older scanning clients like IFS Enterprise Explorer, regular Aurena, old Android app (non Aurena native) and the windows mobile app still is supporting GS1 Datamatrix.

Let us know if there is still issues with GS1 Datamatrix since the initial plan was to support that type of barcode. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

The latest information I got about the Native Mobile framework limitation on 400 characters that it will be fixed/increased for the Apps10 UPD12.