Question

Handling Unit Content details in ‘print handling unit content label’

• 20 October 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi All,

In IFS system (cloud, even exist in Apps10), we can generate labels for handling units (HU). We have the option to generate  label for HU content, ‘print handling unit content label’. If we generate this printout, we get a barcode displayed in this printout, but if we read it, it still gives only the HU id. It does not give any information about its content. I test this with a wadaco process (Unattached Part from Handling Unit), that is by reading HU id, it does not fetch the part details even if I configure parts to fetch automatically. Then I generated SSCC code for this handling unit (in the printout I get a separate barcode for SSCC No) and re-configured the wadaco process to fetch values from SSCC No, still it only fetches the HU id but not its content (part details). I have to enter part by part into the system via wadaco.

I wonder if my expectations are too much from this barcode? is it not designed to give content details? Can’t I use SSCC number? Would that not contain its content details ? If someone has experience doing this before? or is there any other way I can do this pls ?

Screen shot of the label

Thank you,

Roshan

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Since the barcode is inside the Handling Unit ID field and the SSCC field I would guess that it is a single item barcode and it will not give you the other details. That is how I remember they were created in Apps9/10. 

You need a GS1 barcode or QR code for having multiple values in the barcode. I think the standard reports don’t support those types out of the box, you have to customize the report to handle that is my guess.

The wadaco process support GS1 so you could make it work if you customize the report to be multiple item barcode that should follow the GS1 standard and then you just configure your process to fetch all the information you want from the barcode into separate data items in the process.

Also looking at the barcode picture it looks like your handling unit have more that one type of part inside it so that is why no information is shown for part no, description and quantity except the 3 dots in part which I think will indicate that its Mixed parts inside the handling unit. So in that case it would never been able to pass the information to the wadaco process anyway, you need to have single type of part inside the handling unit for that information to be gathered I would guess.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Thank you @Dario Zani for the input. I am waiting if someone has a different opinion or different approach that the use without going for a customized report.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

The barcodes clearly only have handling unit id or SSCC as values so you will not get any other values from that.

But you might configure your process to get the other values from the handling unit id if you set those data items to have Use Automatic Value = Fixed, but it all depends on if 1 unique stock record can be fetched for that handling unit then it will work, but if there are several stock records like you have several parts inside that handling unit you will not get the values from handling unit id. The same if old emtpy stock records exist for that handling unit, but there is scheduled background jobs that can remove old empty stock records if that is the reason for not getting  values.