Question

Alternative and safe repository to ScanIT download

• 23 March 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi,

Question from our customer:
“Please let me know if there is an alternative and safe repository to the Google Play store, e.g., on IFS resources that allows you to download current versions of ScanIt for local installation - if terminals do not have access to the Internet and the Play store (implementation of .apk or .apkx packages).
The Play store does not allow this. We have found opportunities to download applications from Chinese servers but this is not a safe solution.   ”

Does anyone know of such an alternative repository? Preferably on IFS resources.

7 replies

Badge +1

Hi,

Question from our customer:
“Please let me know if there is an alternative and safe repository to the Google Play store, e.g., on IFS resources that allows you to download current versions of ScanIt for local installation - if terminals do not have access to the Internet and the Play store (implementation of .apk or .apkx packages).
The Play store does not allow this. We have found opportunities to download applications from Chinese servers but this is not a safe solution.   ”

Does anyone know of such an alternative repository? Preferably on IFS resources.

Hello, 
some popular alternatives to the Google Play Store include F-Droid, Amazon Appstore, and APKMirror. It is important to exercise caution and do thorough research before downloading and installing applications from any third-party sources.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Maybe @rukflk should answer this.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

hi @KRBLPL,

I’m from the team that handles store submissions in addition to the framework elements of our mobile apps, so I can try to shed some light.

We view the Google Play Store (and by extension the Apple App Store and the Windows Store) as the gold standard for how to distribute our mobile apps. There are simply no other stores that have the same reliability, availability, security and legitimacy.

We also do not plan on building an IFS mobile app repository - for one it is a major undertaking to provide similar capabilities already offered by the stores (automatic updates, screenshots, details of included changes in new release, a secure app submission process etc.) and more importantly, it still wouldn’t work at all for intranet-only or air gapped installations.

For Android and Windows devices, one option already exists - our apps do get published on the Archive, and our Support representatives should be able to help the customer get the Android .apk file and Windows .exe files, which they can then either load into an MDM or directly sideload to devices.

If anyone tells you of any other alternative repository, it would be an unauthorized one that you should avoid (and let us know of)!

Out of curiosity, is the customer on Apps10 or IFS Cloud?

Cheers,

Rukmal

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi @rukflk ,

Thank you for the comprehensive information.
I advised the customer that for devices that cannot connect to the Google Play store, he should extract the .apk/.apkx files from other devices where he installed the application.

The customer is using IFS Cloud 22R2 SU5.

Wiem, że inni klienci korzystają również z https://apkpure.com/pl/ifs-scan-it/com.ifs.cloud.ScanIt .

Best Regards
Krzysztof

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi @KRBLPL, I’ve seen services like APKPure, but then the customer has no guarantee that the APK file hasn’t been tampered with. The 22R2 APK files are definitely available on the Archive, so I’d strongly recommend getting those across to the customer instead! 🙂

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi @rukflk ,

Could you be more specific about which archive you are writing about? In our IFS resources?

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

@KRBLPL there’s a folder parallel to the Apps9/Apps10/IFS Cloud archives, which has the binaries of mobile apps grouped by app and release. It’s meant for internal access, so it’s not directly accessible by customers, but if a customer needs a specific app version, they can report a support ticket and our GSD colleagues can then assist.