Question

What is the IFS advised method to test a UPD

• 8 September 2020
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

What is the IFS advised method to test a UPD? Should we test the customer’s business flows or all the functionalities introduced from the UPD or both?

If we receive multiple UPDs to deploy and test, should we test one by one or can we apply all and test all together to reduce the testing effort significantly.

8 replies

Userlevel 7

What is the IFS advised method to test a UPD? Should we test the customer’s business flows or all the functionalities introduced from the UPD or both?

If we receive multiple UPDs to deploy and test, should we test one by one or can we apply all and test all together to reduce the testing effort significantly.

Personally I’d say that you should start by reading the release notes and evaluate if anything will affect how you currently run your business, preferably even before installing it.  

Then start by testing critical business flows to make sure that nothing has broken and decide whether you want/need to change the process based on any potential news introduced. Go/No go?
Then you’d test less critical/less frequent processes the same way based on time/need/criticality. 

I would focus my efforts on only testing on the latest Update but read through the news for all the Updates applied to get a picture of what I’m dealing with.

Badge +2

Where can i find the location/path release notes for the updates ?

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hi @Sumedha ,

It is better if you can perform an end to end testing covering following areas.

* Core Solution : If the customer's solution set is purely based on core IFS Application, then you can follow the Release Notes Summary Documentation, Patch Report and test the end to end functional flows corresponding to the changes introduced by the UPD Gap.

* Reports : If there are any reports or report layouts modified during the UPD Apply, then check if the reports are working properly and their layouts are intact. 

* R&D Extensions and other localizations :
If the customer's solution set includes R&D extensions (eg :- IFS Global Extension, Oil and Gas extension etc.) and other localizations (eg: - Freight Interface, Credit Card Interface etc.), their functional flows due to UPD Gap should be tested using the relevant Product Release Notes.

* Customizations : If there are modified customizations (which have impacts due to UPD gap) during UPD Apply, you can refer to the relevant functional and technical specifications and test the business flow.

(Note : Customizations which are in approved state/handed over to IFS Support with the relevant FS and TS will be tested by the Consultant BSAs once the Update is installed in internal DEV environment)

* Configurations : It is always recommended to do a Configuration Analysis using IFS Configuration Analyzer tool before the installation of an update to get an understanding about the impacted configurations. For this you can use the Interface Reference Report.

Thanks,
Priyanjala 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hi @kumarmvnk ,

You can find the Release Notes Summary document using the following community post.

Thanks,

Priyanjala 

Badge +2

Thanks priya

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hi @Sumedha ,

It is better if you can perform an end to end testing covering following areas.

Core Solution : If the customer's solution set is purely based on core IFS Application, then you can follow the Release Notes Summary Documentation, Patch Report and test the end to end functional flows corresponding to the changes introduced by the UPD Gap.

Reports : If there are any reports or report layouts modified during the UPD Apply, then check if the reports are working properly and their layouts are intact. 

R&D Extensions and other localizations :
If the customer's solution set includes R&D extensions (eg :- IFS Global Extension, Oil and Gas extension etc.) and other localizations (eg: - Freight Interface, Credit Card Interface etc.), their functional flows due to UPD Gap should be tested using the relevant Product Release Notes.

Customizations : If there are modified customizations (which have impacts due to UPD gap) during UPD Apply, you can refer to the relevant functional and technical specifications and test the business flow.

(Note : Customizations which are in approved state/handed over to IFS Support with the relevant FS and TS will be tested by the Consultant BSAs once the Update is installed in internal DEV environment)

Configurations : It is always recommended to do a Configuration Analysis using IFS Configuration Analyzer tool before the installation of an update to get an understanding about the impacted configurations. For this you can use the Interface Reference Report.

Thanks,
Priyanjala 

Badge +2

Priya, can I have some links to view a little more about “ IFS Configuration Analyzer tool” ?

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Priya, can I have some links to view a little more about “ IFS Configuration Analyzer tool” ?

Hi @kumarmvnk ,

You can access the IFS Configuration Analyzer tool using IFS Developer Portal.

Please refer the below community post for further information.

Thanks,

Priyanjala