Solved

SOAP or OData / REST API?

• 13 April 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

There are some ways to integrate an external application with IFS 10 application. The first is using SOAP web services, and the second is using OData REST API.

SOAP web service is placed under Integration documentation and has more menu in Routing Address/Rules, Messaging Application, etc

But OData is placed under user interface Aurena documentation, and I don’t see anything about Odata in the IFS Connect/integration menu.

My Questions:

1. Is it still best practice to develop integration with a third-party app using OData, even though we will not use the Aurena ?. 
  2.  If we customize a menu di F1, is it will automatically update the related projection of OData? 

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by dhlelk 16 April 2021, 12:29

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @bhaktiutama,

But OData is placed under user interface Aurena documentation, and I don’t see anything about Odata in the IFS Connect/integration menu.

IFS Connect is an integration broker and now it supports REST Sender, hence you can utilize the features of IFS Connect when consuming 3rd party RESTful webservices.

Refer below documentation about IFS RESTful APIs.
IFS RESTful APIs
Using IFS RESTful APIs
Configure the REST Transport Connector
API explorer overview

1. Is it still best practice to develop integration with a third-party app using OData, even though we will not use the Aurena ?.

Yes, I would recommend developing RESTful APIs using integration type projections to expose webservices in IFS. This is due to various reasons like performance, adaptability, ease of extensibility, widely supported and ease of upgrade to IFS Cloud.
However, there might be some drawbacks and limitations of using REST and it's always best to carefully investigate them before mapping the integration solution.

1.  If we customize a menu di F1, is it will automatically update the related projection of OData?

I'm a bit unclear about this question, it would be great if you could provide more information about this?

Cheers !
Dhananjaya.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi @bhaktiutama,

IFS Connect is an integration broker and now it supports REST Sender, hence you can utilize the features of IFS Connect when consuming 3rd party RESTful webservices.

Refer below documentation about IFS RESTful APIs.
IFS RESTful APIs
Using IFS RESTful APIs
Configure the REST Transport Connector
API explorer overview

Yes, I would recommend developing RESTful APIs using integration type projections to expose webservices in IFS. This is due to various reasons like performance, adaptability, ease of extensibility, widely supported and ease of upgrade to IFS Cloud.
However, there might be some drawbacks and limitations of using REST and it's always best to carefully investigate them before mapping the integration solution.

Thank you for the explanation. I think we are using an old version (UPD7), so the documentation is a bit different. But I will bookmark your link for our reference.

1.  If we customize a menu di F1, is it will automatically update the related projection of OData?

I'm a bit unclear about this question, it would be great if you could provide more information about this?

I mean, if we customize a module in Apps10 - like add a new field/column - will the new column automatically added to the REST API endpoint/projection? 

Cheers !
Dhananjaya.

thanks a lot

Regards,
Bhakti

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @bhaktiutama,

I mean, if we customize a module in Apps10 - like add a new field/column - will the new column automatically added to the REST API endpoint/projection?

There's no binary answer for this question since it totally depends on how the projection is implemented.
For example, if the entity set uses the standard entity without any overriding, then these new attributes would be reflected in the projection.
If the standard entity is overridden in the projection to only include a specific set of attributes, then the new attributes won't be reflected in the projection.

However, the majority of the standard projections doesn’t override the standard entity to only include a specific set of attributes, hence the new attributes would be reflected in the projection.

Cheers !
Dhananjaya.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

@dhlelk thank you for the insight.

If I create a new custom field in EE, will it be available on related RESTAPI projection ?

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi @bhaktiutama,

There's no binary answer for this question since it totally depends on how the projection is implemented.
For example, if the entity set uses the standard entity without any overriding, then these new attributes would be reflected in the projection.
If the standard entity is overridden in the projection to only include a specific set of attributes, then the new attributes won't be reflected in the projection.

However, the majority of the standard projections doesn’t override the standard entity to only include a specific set of attributes, hence the new attributes would be reflected in the projection.

Cheers !
Dhananjaya.

If I create a new custom field in EE, will it be available on related RESTAPI projection ?