Question

PGP (Pretty Good Privacy) encryption for SFTP sender

• 26 October 2020
  • 10 replies

Hi All,

Anyone implemented a PGP (Pretty Good Privacy) encryption for our standard SFTP senders via any means? Banking systems requires PGP encryption onto of SFTP for extra security so any implementation of PGP is appreciates even with external tools.

Thanks and kind regards,

/Tharindu

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

From my understanding, the whole point of PGP is to provide an encryption layer above whatever other transport means is in place. This means you wouldn’t want to bake it into your SFTP transfer directly from the application since you wouldn’t be gaining the added benefits of encrypting twice. (The attack surface would still have a single point of failure.)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @Tharindu ,

I haven’t work with PGP but if it uses static encryption keys, easiest method would be to create a java transformer to encrypt the content.

Otherwise, you could write a new sender based on SFTP to use PGP encryption.

Have found some open apis and github examples but hope you’ll already looked into those ;)

Cheers!

Damith

Thanks @dsj and @durette .

Yes, java transformers seems to be logical and easy option but just wondered if anyone has done this before so we have a proof. Anyway, we are currently verifying with the bank to see PGP is mandatory or not and based on that we will decide the next step.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi @Tharindu

We are in the same situation as you, looking into sending payment files preferably by the SFTP sender but the bank is asking about PGP encryption.

How did it turn out for you? 

BR Andreas 

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Tharindu,

I am official IFS Partner (Ahead ERP Consulting). We have a solution for you.
I have implemented the PGP Encryptor as Java transformer. This was done for IFS App 7, so it would have to be uplifted to your version (Apps 9? Apps 10?) and tested.

This was done to integrate IFS with JP Morgan/Chase for supplier (AP) payments using ACH, check or wires.

The way it was done, no one was touching the actual file all the way from IFS to the bank (file generated in IFS, PGP-encrypted by Java transformer, sent via SFTP sender, received by the bank, PGP-decrypted).

We can provide this solution. Let me know if you are interested (mateusz.klos@aheaderp.com).

Mateusz Klos
Partner and Senior Application Architect
Ahead ERP Consulting Inc.

mateusz.klos@aheaderp.com
+1 262 212 2601

Badge +4

Hello

Although this thread was created some time ago, just now I’m finding that some of our customer needs some PGP functionality to use with those documents generated from IFS Cloud (22R2).

Any more recent improvement from the above mentioned approaches? Is a Java Transformer still needed?

Thanks in advance

BR

/Juanma

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

I am interested on the topic. Any other approaches apart from transformers?

Badge +1

Hi all,

Whe're in the same situation but running version 23R1.

Is there a solution for this type of files with PGP encryption?

Thanks in advance!

Sven

Badge

Hi @Tharindu,

Did you found a solution for this? we are having the same request for a client in IFS Cloud version 22R2

Thanks in advance!

Harsha 

Not really. It was decided that customer is the single point of contact for all the integrations so IFS provided the file to customer using standard SFTP and they transferred it to the bank using 3rd party tools.