Solved

IFSSYS Password Change when using Middleware Cluster

• 11 June 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

We run IFS Apps9 Update16. We have 2 Application servers hosting 4 Managed Servers in a IFS Application clustered configuration.

We are looking to change the IFSSYS password via the installer change password option, but I am wondering if the new password change will be pushed through to the 2nd App Server Host? or would I need to recreate the clustered install/manually intervene in some way?

We have tested the usual change, but our test system is still not yet clustered.

Would be good to hear from any other clustered users.

Thanks

Mike

icon

Best answer by MikeArbon 29 July 2021, 23:50

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hi Mike,

First you need to do the required password changes in the database and then do the same password change by running the installer in the main node.

According to my knowledge you do not need to do the password change on the cluster nodes because only the main app server node has the configuration XML file which contains the encrypted passwords related to the instance. Cluster nodes does not have such file. If you have integration server, you need to do the same on the integration server only in the main node.

The reason to follow the above process is, if you do such a password change via the installer, you'll get an error because the password in the database does not match with the updated password. so, if you are doing such a password change through the installer to the instance, first you must do the change in the database and then proceed with the instance update only in the main node servers.

I hope this clarifies your concern.

Thanks.

/Jeewaka Padmapriya.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hi Mike,

First you need to do the required password changes in the database and then do the same password change by running the installer in the main node.

According to my knowledge you do not need to do the password change on the cluster nodes because only the main app server node has the configuration XML file which contains the encrypted passwords related to the instance. Cluster nodes does not have such file. If you have integration server, you need to do the same on the integration server only in the main node.

The reason to follow the above process is, if you do such a password change via the installer, you'll get an error because the password in the database does not match with the updated password. so, if you are doing such a password change through the installer to the instance, first you must do the change in the database and then proceed with the instance update only in the main node servers.

I hope this clarifies your concern.

Thanks.

/Jeewaka Padmapriya.

Hi @MikeArbon , I hope this helped to clarify your concern. 

Thanks!

/Jeewaka.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi Jeewaka

Thanks for your response. I really hope that is the case, however I will setup our test instance with a 2nd node cluster, so I can be 100% sure.

I did not change the password in Oracle first. I was able to change the password via the installer, but had to select the ‘Change Oracle and IFS password’ radio button. This seemed to work fine.

I will update this after testing the test cluster setup.

Thanks

Mike

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

I have now updated all of our IFS system passwords. IFSSYS i believe is the tricky one. You can change the password using the installer, without needing to change it in the database before hand (as advised previously). Certainly this was the case for me (v9 update16).

I also found that for IFSSYS you must recreate the clustered node, if you do not, it will lock out the IFSSYS password.

Turns out our biggest issue was with IFSPRINT. For some reason this changed using the installer, but failed to update the database (even though this option was selected). I changed the db pw manually, which worked for Print Agent issues, but we still had issues with Crystal Web Services. After a very stressful weekend, we reran the installer just for IFSPRINT with a new password. It worked very quickly and did not require any change to cluster and it didnt even seem to restart the services (although I may be wrong on that front, as was very tired).

I dont want to do that very often!

Regards

Mike