Solved

Database session has been expired. Please restart client application

• 1 May 2020
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hello,

We are using IFS 8 SP1+ with 2 managed server with an external load balancer as netscalar.

We are getting error in 4 to 5 min “Database session has been expired. Please restart client application” on many screens.

We have Dedicated session timeout is 5400, Ideal time parameter of Oracle profile is set to unlimited. Also netscalar timeout is set to 10 Min.

Does anyone came  across same issue or help us to identify the issue where else we can check for this timeout parameter apart from above mentioned.

Thanks in Advance 

icon

Best answer by dmanuele 21 September 2020, 16:04

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Can you check for any error/warning messages in the Oracle database alert & listener logs, which coincide to the timeout errors reported in IFS?

The next place to look at is the IFS MWS/JBOSS Server logs for error details.

Please keep me posted regarding your findings.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Thanks Srikanth for your quick response.

I have check all the logs of Database and Application but didn’t find this warning/error on Logs which resembles to this issue. We are facing this issue across different environments eg: Test, Dev etc...

Also we are using IFS MWS as middle server.

Regards,

Anshul

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Are the servers on physical or virtual servers? Are there any VM backups running in the background? Any Anti-Virus software installed and did you check those logs? 

Also it will be helpful if you can you paste the error screenshot as it appears inside IFS Applications? There should be some log on the application server capturing more information.

You can try below things,

1. Make sure that the dedicated session timeout is set properly in both Managed Servers. Mind you that if you perform a reconfiguration and changed the dedicated session timeout then you need to recreate the cluster to make it visible to the cluster node.
  2. You can also bypass the LB and connect directly to MWS and verify whether the issue still exists. This will help to eliminate any timeout in the LB. You have to change your connection URL in the login dialogue for this test.
  3. If there’s no luck then try to shut down one Managed Server and see the difference.

PS: I assume that you have not enabled heartbeat and you do not have a DB RAC.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

You can try below things,

1. Make sure that the dedicated session timeout is set properly in both Managed Servers. Mind you that if you perform a reconfiguration and changed the dedicated session timeout then you need to recreate the cluster to make it visible to the cluster node.
  2. You can also bypass the LB and connect directly to MWS and verify whether the issue still exists. This will help to eliminate any timeout in the LB. You have to change your connection URL in the login dialogue for this test.
  3. If there’s no luck then try to shut down one Managed Server and see the difference.

PS: I assume that you have not enabled heartbeat and you do not have a DB RAC.

Hi Tharindu,

Thanks for your response.

1. We have dedicated session timeout is set for 90 Min. and both manager server are in sync.
  2. While doing the testing without LB we are not getting the error but it is taking time to complete.

We don’t have DB RAC also no heartbeat.

Can you tell me what can we check on NetScalar(LB) ?

You probably have a better luck with NetScaler documentation depending on your version you use. For example https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-adc/13/system/basic-operations/configuring-system-session-timeout.html. From IFS point of view the mandatory setting is sticky sessions (session affinity).

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

We are experiencing the same issue, however we do not have multiple application servers.  We have one Linux VM running the application and a standalone Linux database server. No load balancing at all. After an hour of inactivity (no database queries or updates), we receive the session expiration message. This is despite the fact that we have Dedicated session timeout is 86400, Idle time parameter of Oracle profile is set to unlimited.

Any other suggestions?

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

FYI - I resolved my own issue by performing a reconfigure on the runtime. This resolved my issue.