Solved

Crystal Report Print dialog box defaults to neither Windows default printer or IFS default printer

• 10 September 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8
  • Sidekick (Customer)
  • 31 replies

Hoping someone can shed some light on this situation. I have a user that brought this up - whenever they are trying to print a Crystal report, the Print dialog box always default selects “Microsoft Print to PDF”, instead of the Windows default printer (shown as “Front Office” with green default checkmark below). Her IFS Printer Definition settings are also set to default to this office printer. I even checked on our IFS Print Agent server - and the default printer is another office device. 

Does anyone know what might be the reason for this, and whether it can be changed?

icon

Best answer by darren j turner 10 September 2020, 17:57

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

I would suggest that if you go to print settings on the users pc, the allow windows to manage my default printer is checked.  Windows will then default to the last printer used.  So if the previewed a document last the pdf printer will be set as default.  In the print screen you highlighted you can right mouse on a printer and set as default from there.  When you do this it warns you that windows will no longer manage your default printer.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

So when I tried to RMB click in the Print dialog box from the Crystal Report to reset the default printer, that option was not available for this user. 

When I went to Printers and Scanners in the Windows settings - the “Allow Windows to manage my default printer” was already unchecked. When I checked this checkbox, then the dialog box chose her preferred default printer as she preferred. 

I explained to the user that this could change, depending on whether she is previewing documents - selecting other printers etc.

Thank you for the direction!

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Well… actually it didn’t work completely. 

If I printed using her default printer, and then while the same preview is open - go to select print again, it defaults to the previously used/correct printer. 

If I go all the way out of the report, regenerate it - it defaults again to the Microsoft Print to PDF, i’m guessing because it opens up the view copy on-screen first?