Boomi Integration

• 21 February 2020
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

With the recent announcement of IFS and Dell BOOMI integration I’d love to see real life use cases of how IFS users are integrating systems using BOOMI. For example; Dynamics365 and IFS Apps. 

A white paper on this topic would be really helpful to show users what is possible. 

15 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi David.  Apologies for the delayed response, but I’m pleased to have just joined the forum.  I work for Dell Boomi and am responsible for the relationship between Boomi and IFS and would be more than happy to answer any specific questions you or others may have.  I’ve attached a short white paper which highlights some of the concepts behind Boomi and why these are relevant we believe to IFS customers.

More broadly, Boomi provides and iPaaS platform and we connect our platform to applications using our Connectors.  There are both “branded” connectors, which connect Boomi to a specific application, and technology connectors which use standards based approaches where a branded connector isn’t available or required.  Combining these, we’ve connected Boomi’s platform to over 1,500 different applications.  You can see a list of some of the connectors here.

Through our partnership with IFS, we’ll initially deliver 2 connectors, which IFS themselves have developed using our connector SDK.  Firstly, we have a connector for Apps 10, which uses the OData API.  Secondly, we will also deliver a connector for IFS Connect.  Using these, you’ll be able to build processes which connect IFS Apps to any of the other applications we support, which does include Dynamics 365 of course.

Please let me know if there’s anything specific I can answer for you.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi @Peter Sketch Boomi 

We are very interested in this, do you have any more information when the connector in Boomi will be available?

We are a Boomi customer.

Best Regards

Karl Linder

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi @karllinder

Good to hear from you.  I can’t give a definitive date, but I do expect the Connectors to be released very soon now - we’re just working through the release cycles for both connectors.  If you have specific, short term requirements, please drop me a PM with your email address and I’d be happy to discuss them.

Peter 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Does Boomi work with Apps 9?  How many IFS customers have installed and is using Boomi?  

We are evaluating using Boomi to connect with a platform to do our financial reporting.  

Sorry for all the questions, but need to understand what is Boomi as I see I just missed the webinar on the subject.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi

Boomi has 2 types of “connector” - i.e. the bridge between our platform and applications.  These are application specific, or Branded, connectors which connect with a specific application.  Then there are connectors which use a generic api of some kind - we call these technology connectors.  There are about 150 branded connectors and 15 or so technology connectors which have been used to connect with about 1,500 different applications.

With IFS Apps, we have 2 connectors about to go public.  One uses IFS’s new REST API, so is designed for Apps 10 (Update 8) and above, including of course IFS Cloud.  The second is specifically designed for connect with IFS Connect, both Bizapi and non-Bizapi services.  In addition of course, you can use the technology connectors to use the various more standard apis for connecting to IFS.

Happy to discuss this in more detail - drop me a mail at peter.sketch@dell.com if you’d like to speak further.

Peter

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

I’m happy to let everyone know that we’ve made the REST connector for Apps 10 generally available in the Boomi platform.  If you sign up for a Boomi free trial at https://boomi.com/trial, you’ll see the IFS Apps 10 connector available to use, and you can see the user guide at IFS Applications REST – Partner connector (boomi.com).

Any questions of course, please let me know.

Peter

Badge

Does Boomi IFS 10 connector work with IFS 9 ?

Badge

Does Boomi work with Apps 9?  How many IFS customers have installed and is using Boomi?  

We are evaluating using Boomi to connect with a platform to do our financial reporting.  

Sorry for all the questions, but need to understand what is Boomi as I see I just missed the webinar on the subject.

how to see replies to your question?

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi

As I mentioned above, the Apps 10 connector uses REST, and so only works with IFS Apps 10 Upd 8 and above, including IFS Cloud.  For prior releases, we also have an IFS Connect connector, which is available now in private preview, and we also support a number of technology connectors, which can be used to interface with IFS Apps version in other ways as well.

Please let me know if you need any more information

Peter

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @Peter Sketch Boomi ,

We currently have IFS Application 10 Update 8 installed in production. We attended the Dell Boomi webinar a little while ago which began a thought process into how we could utilize this technology.  We have two areas we came up with initially.

1. Does Dell Boomi have any connectors PLC controllers?   We are trying to figure out how to integrate IFS and our PLC controllers so IFS can send data to our production line equipment and receive data from the production line equipment.
  2. We noticed during the demonstration an ADP connector.  Could you provide more information about how we could utilize the ADP connector?   We currently upload a CSV file to ADP for our timecards and we’d like to send and update ADP when employee information changes.

Regards,

William Klotz

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @Peter Sketch Boomi ,

After posting my last set of questions above I was asked the following question.

1. Does Dell Boomi have any connectors to Indeed, Monster or CareerBuilder sites that we could leverage to post job postings on those sites from our IFS HR Module?

Regards,

William Klotz

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi William

Thanks for reaching out.   In answer to your questions …

1. PLC Systems.  I don’t believe we have connectivity through a named connector to any PLC systems.  However, we also support connectivity to systems through our technology connectors.  These enable you to integrate the Boomi platform (and hence IFS) with anything we can reach through any API, database, protocol or even flat file.  You can see a list of technology connectors at Technology connectors (boomi.com).  We’re also continuing to grow the direct integration options for event driven architectures.  So, if you had IoT devices in your production line and wanted to be able to bring these events into you integration platform, you can also achieve that using both branded connectors for things such as EventBridge, Azure Service Bus or Solace, or through standards approaches such as Kafka and MQTT.
  2. ADP are a Boomi partner, who use our platform to provide integration services to their customers as a service.  You could speak to ADP about these services, or can connect directly to ADP using their REST APIs.  They have APIs for workers ADP Developer Resources and time managements (ADP Developer Resources) which Boomi can connect with using our technology connectors again.
  3. Job Posting Sites.  Again, this isn’t something we have branded connectors for, but rather we use our tech connectors.  Looking at indeed, they have a pretty basic api - Indeed APIs (indeedeng.io) - which returns XML or JSON, so either approach would be fine to use our http connector most likely.  Likewise, Monster looks to have a pretty similar approach (Job Search (monster.com)), with a sample query just being something like https://api.jobs.com/search/jobs?title=programmer&city=boston&state=MA&radius=40&country=US
    Here again, you could use the http connector.  CareerBuilder looks the odd one out as they have a private API requiring a “developer key” (Authentication · CareerBuilder (readme.io)).  So, likely a problem with them I think.

We’re also working on a couple of “frameworks” at the moment - one for SOAP and one for OpenAPI.  The intent of these is to greatly reduce the time taken to create a custom bespoke connector so you can expect to see even broader connector support in the future.  However, at present, using our technology connectors will get you to the same point.

Peter

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi William

I just wanted to let you know that I posted an answer yesterday, but it’s “being moderated” - perhaps because it contained a couple of links.  If it doesn’t show up shortly, I’ll post again, but without the links.

Peter

Badge +1

Hi Peter,

Do you have a User Guide or Examples for these that we can have a look at?

Regards,

Kim

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi Kim

Yes, the user guide is up on our website now at IFS Applications REST – Partner connector (boomi.com).  If you need any more information, please feel free to contact me.

Peter