Question

Automated import of external file to data load table

• 21 April 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge +2

A

Rank

System: IFS Apps 8 (Currently)

Hi, I'm new to the community and fairly new to IFS. I have a requirement within the business that on an agreed schedule it will automate a process in IFS, where an external SQL based system produces a file which can be automatically imported into IFS and used to generate new projects. e.g.
Step 1
@19:00 the External Systems produces an external text file: Pipe Delimited and columns encompassed in double quotes ("")
Step 2
@19:30 IFS imports the data into a temporary table
step 3
@ 19:45 a scheduled event activates and

• Validates the imported data in the temporary table
  • creates new Project records based on the data in the temporary table
  • emails users to notify of any failed transactions

Steps 1 and 3 are in place, I’m having problems with step 2

I have looked at the data Migration tool and can't see how to schedule and completely automate the steps in completing this, load file, save and import

I have also looked at the external file tool and am a totally bemused by it.

Any advice on which tool would be best to use and any guidance on where I might find resources to tell me how to complete this task would be very much appreciated

Many thanks

Trev, a newbie.

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

For IFS 8 I would suggest using Oracle SQL*Loader to load the data into your temporary table.

1. Create a control file to process the data file.
  2. Create a batch file to call SQL*Loader and process the data files. The batch file will move the file to a “Processed” directory once the file has been loaded.

I can provide sample code for these operations if you send an email to alan.clark@dsiglobal.com . It would make it easier to provide sample files if you sent me the definition of your temporary table.

Badge +2

Thanks Alan, I appreciate the offer and will take you up on that. I’m dealing with some Payroll issues currently which are quite urgent can I contact you with some details in a few days?