Solved

App 10 Aurena simultaneous log in

• 13 July 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Dear Colleagues.

We have encountered an issue in App 10 Aurena Verson. A single user can simultaneously log in, into different devices. Is it a

Bug?? If yes how to solve it 

icon

Best answer by JOOLSE 13 July 2021, 16:22

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

No it is not a bug. We have opened up for the possibility for the same user to login using different devices. It is rather common nowadays that you are using both laptop, tablets and phones. 

What we have been discussing is how many devices should you be able to login to at the same time. Currently we do not have any restrictions on it, but we will most likely set something in the future in a dynamic way so thce customer can restrict how many devices they allow per users.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

But dont you think it will have effect on Licensee sell. In my case, our client was supposed to purchase additional user license. But when they discovered  this feature in aurena,  now they are thinking of sharing user id and use in different branches 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

But dont you think it will have effect on Licensee sell. In my case, our client was supposed to purchase additional user license. But when they discovered  this feature in aurena,  now they are thinking of sharing user id and use in different branches 

Good point, but the opposite condition is equally undesirable, at least from the client side. Imagine a forklift driver working with a tablet, then going to their office to use a workstation. If they forget to log off the tablet they would have to go back and do that, losing the context of their work.

When a device has a companion application (such as CRM Companion) the issue is less pronounced, but I can see why IFS erred on the side of caution instead of frustrating all of their Aurena users (and Aurena being the future of IFS). Frustrated customers can affect licenses, too.  *smile*

Thanks,

Joe Kaufman

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi

I am not sure exactly how we license the product, it has varied during the years with different models and in IFS cloud we do have a new model. I will bring this up internally. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Fortunately, most customers still want to adhere to their contractual obligation even when it’s not enforced by software.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

A good thing would be a way to register devices, similar with touch-apps, but on a global scale, including desktop and laptop stations. With enterprise managed devices most of the companies use inTune or alike already. I welcome the possibility of logging in simultaneously from few (1-5) devices.

For IFS the license sell it’s covered by the right to audit .. I would not worry too much from a partner perspective on what the clients are doing. As a partner, just inform the client that their practice is not recommended, and just hint to their contractual obligations. They also have the right to receive warnings as their faulty mode of operation might not be intended.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

A good thing would be a way to register devices, similar with touch-apps, but on a global scale, including desktop and laptop stations.

Device registration goes against the spirit of web applications, and it would add unnecessary and risky complexity. We’re supposed to be able to use the same Odata interface for third party integrations as the application itself uses, and device registration would break this similarity.

Also, if a malicious end user has access to both a registered device and an unregistered device, it’s trivially easy to circumvent the device ID as a security measure.