Solved

Utilising In-Memory

• 24 February 2020
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi All

We are on IFSv9 (Oracle 12c) and have yet to utilise the In-Memory functionality. Our database is roughly 500Gb in total size, with 470 global users. We have 300Gb of free RAM on our physical database host waiting to be used.

I would love to know if you have made use of In-Memory. Did you see a measurable improvement on performance within IFS and more importantly if there are known pitfalls I should avoid.

Would love to hear your experience of this feature, good and bad.

Best regards

Mike

icon

Best answer by Srikanth 25 February 2020, 13:37

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Hi Mike,

Oracle In-Memory (IM) is a vast topic but let me try my best to add info pertaining to its usage in IFS Applications:

• IFS Applications enable users to leverage Oracle In-Memory columnar store introduced in Oracle 12C Enterprise Edition. With In-Memory acceleration, users will be able to run analytical queries against IFS Applications several magnitudes faster than before.
  • the Oracle parameter inmemory_size controls the total IM allocation for an instance. If this set to 0, then IM is technically disabled for the database.
  • INMEMORY_QUERY is used to enable or disable in-memory queries for the entire database at the session or system level
  • Type of queries that will mostly benefits from In-Memory are:

• Queries that contain filters, group by, inner joins

• Queries that are filtering on non-indexed columns
  • Queries that scans many rows, and only select few columns and rows
  • Queries that contain aggregate functions such as MAX, MIN, SUM in their select closure
  • There are two screens in IFS Apps 9 under In-Memory sub-folder: IM Acceleration Package and  IM Acceleration Packages
  • The In-Memory Acceleration Packages window displays all the In-Memory Acceleration Packages that are installed in IFS Applications. There are few pre-defined packages available out of the box in IFS Apps 9 which aren’t enabled by default.
  • In the list there is ALL TABLES IN IFS APPLICATIONS which has all the IFS tables. You can RMB to Esitmate Usage or load IM Advisor Lobby for more details.
  • You must ensure the estimate isn’t > inmemory_size Oracle parameter.
  • In the In-Memory Acceleration Package window user can view and edit database objects related with a In-Memory Acceleration Package

Example of IM usage in IFS: We are using this feature for couple of clients and they noticed improved performance for example Projects screen where is loads lot of sub-projects with calculations. 

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. There is lot of IFS Technical documentation covering this area too.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Did you end up using the In-Memory functionality? If so, did you notice any noticeable performance improvements?