Question

Usage of Data Masking on Test data

• 25 February 2020
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi,

A customer of mine has a database with a number of companies that have been sold. This data should be obfuscated. I’ve found another term used for this: data masking.

So customer number might be the same, but the name is totally different.

Does anyone have any experience with a tool that can perform this or has an idea how to start this from ground up (no problem if I need to prepare one, more or a lot of PLSQL APIs).

Thanks in advance,

Steve

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @eqbstal ,

Can you mention in detail which data you want to obscure?, so the forum could give a proper answer for your question.

I worked the same concept but in my case, requirement was to obscure personal data, part, equipment descriptions while copying Production data to Test.

Our Data obscure solution consist of set of scripts to create dynamic SQLs and call Modify__  function of API which each data item belongs.

We learned lot from IFS Personal data management solution. May be it’s a good place to start for you as well.

Most of the work of IFS Personal data Management consists in Personal_Data_Man_Util_API :wink:

Hope it helps!

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

DSJ,

Complete database is copied with, let’s say 50 companies. The receiver is one of the group companies of the 50. To prepare an example. Companies 101 thru 135 exists and some other. In total 50. The owning company sells the 35 companies in a buyout. The receiver of these 35 companies only needs to see the 35 companies.

What is the option to remove 15 companies in this copied database.

Earlier I came to the conclusion that deletion of a company is a no go. Hence the thought of masking the data. It has not been discussed what may not be disclosed anymore, but I suspect financial data, purchase and sales data. There might be more, but w’​​​​​​​ll see about that.

Hope this clarifies it a bit.

Regards,

​​​​​​​Steve