Question

Slowness in Loading Start Pages Apps 10.4.7.0

• 22 January 2020
  • 5 replies

Badge +3

We have been receiving many reports of issues with Start Pages in 10.4.7.0 that have queries taking long times to load after the session has not been active from anywhere from 5 to 12 minutes.

We have tried increasing the page cache (doubling or tripling) but that had no effect.  The queries have been optimized for Apps 10 as well.

Currently there is a case entered, but thought we would reach out here as well.

The screen below is a start page that takes 4-5 minutes to load after it has been idle for 6 minutes.

Thanks in advance.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi,

have you tried enabling debug console and checking the output there? Enabling the debug console and then opening the page will be a good starting point for this. The “duration” column in the debug console will tell you exactly which process/database call is taking time holding everything up. If you can identify the culprit you can probably check the page performance again by removing that one and attend to the one with the problem separately. 

I’m bit curious as to  why you prefer start pages to Lobbies as well :D. 

Cheers!

Badge +3

Hello,

Yes we have run in debug and found a few items which were corrected.  We continue to run.

The plan is to move to lobbies, but we just did a technical upgrade and will be moving to lobbies soon.

Thank you!

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Nevermind :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Posting my answer to Lisa here from the support case: 

I have an update regarding the slowness observed in the My Start Pages. IFS RnD has introduced Lobbies to overcome
limitations faced when using MyStart pages. Lobbies has extended the functionality which used to be offered from

MyStart pages and provides better performance and configurability.

Hence, the current recommendation is to use lobbies over My Start pages. Any future developments will not be done for
My Start pages from RnD. Furthermore, it is known that continuously refreshing the My Start pages could slow down the system
when repeated requests are made to fetch large volumes of data to the start page.

Also, this thread contains a discussion around My start Pages as a part of a discussion between Aurena Vs Enterprise Explorer elements. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Received word from IFS today - “Use of Start Page is no longer recommended by IFS. Use of Lobby is the "supported path". IFS Support will not assist with Start Page issues. Request assistance from IFS Services / Consulting if our organization wishes to continue with use of Start Page in order to resolve this issue.” 

Sort of odd to have it as a feature in your application (Apps 10 we are using) but yet you no longer support it.