Solved

Case quantities & Packing instructions

• 20 February 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

We have parts that are sold by the each, but our customer always buys them in case quantities (ex: 10 each). We cannot convert the 10 each to 1 case for various reasons, so I’d like to be able to use packing instructions to pack them in case quantities to avoid having the shipping personnel manually enter the weights and dims of each of the packages and then add the appropriate amount to the case. For Example:Part 82975 is shipped out as ten per carton in a 82122 box.I have created a Handling Unit Type of 82122 with the weights and dims of the box. We use this box on quite a few cases for this customer. I also created a packing instruction called C82975 which will then connect the 82122 box.

I can then add the handling units using Apply Packing Instructions and adding the number of cases (in this example, 12)

Then, I still need to add the ten each manually to the handling units to get the correct weights and dims.

The ideal result is having the parts automatically pack into cases of ten without manually adding them. Is there a way to do this?

Please see the attached file with more information.  Thanks

icon

Best answer by Johan Lundström 25 February 2020, 14:10

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi @svrmhuebner,

In Shipment Management > Outbound Shipment > Basic Data > Shipment Type, you can specify Pack According to Packing Instruction as an Optional (Automatic) Event, so this process gets carried out as part of the shipping automation process.

Mote information in Help: ifsdoc/documentation/gb/Invent/frmPackingInstruction.htm

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Thank you for the response, although I can’t seem to find the menu,  Shipment Management > Outbound Shipment > Basic Data > Shipment Type.  We are on IFS Version 9 update 8.  What version are you referring to?  Thanks!

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi @svrmhuebner,

From what I read in your description you have only created basic data for packing instructions and handling unit types?

In order to run automatic packing you also have to define handling unit capacity for the part - how many parts is to be packed into the HU. This can be done in Part Catalog record (Master Part) for the part.  And then if you only have single level HU structure (not box in box or on pallet) you actually don’t need a packing instruction (they are used for multi-level HU structure or for adding packing accessories).

If there is a handling unit capacity defined you can then use the RMB for Pack into HU, either on shipment header or per Unattached Shipment Lines record in HU structure on shipment. That will automatically generate the required number of HU with defined qty per part.

If you define a packing instruction the same can be achieved using RMB Pack According to Packing Instruction. Note that you should not use Apply Packing Instruction if you want the automatic packing - that RMB generates empty instances of the Packing Instrunction ready for manual packing.

Then as mentioned in previous comment it is also possible to have the automatic packing as an optional event for the Shipment Type. But for Apps9 this is part of the Sales Basic Data:

So in above example I have added an optional event to pack according to HU capacity after parts have been reported as picked.

You can also find more details about HU and how they are handled/packed in shipment in the about descrition for HU - use the following ending to your documentation link: ../documentation/en/Shipment/AboutHandlingUnits.htm

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Thanks for the help, we completed all the set-up and it seems to be working well!