RMA processing on IFS - from customer return to reconditionning for resale

• 8 October 2021
  • 0 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6
  • Do Gooder (Partner)
  • 10 replies

Hi, 
For a specific client need in IFS (not FSM solution) we have the following requirements : 

1) RMA advance replacement : the company does not await for items under RMA to be returned before to exchange the part and send the new one to the customer

2) RMA item quality inspection at arrival : the items need to be inspected (parts are company owned now, not client property anymore)
3 options after inspection : 
A)  Scrapping
B)  To be reconditionned
C)  Supplier return if the part is still under warranty (The part can not be directly send to the supplier by the customer, previous analysis by the company is a mandatory step)

3) If the part can be reconditionned, a repair action must be launched.

4) Once the repair operations has been performed, the item must be identified as a repaired one and available to be resaled to another client or used for a maintenance operation (not necessalery for the same client as the one who requested for initial RMA)

We are facing different topics : 

1) RMA flow in IFS does not seem to cover the need (RMA process in IFS is quite “light”).

2) RMA advance replacement : in standard RMA flow you can only send a new part against the previous one reception.

3) No shipment is triggered for point 2) juste above - new part sending against previous one reception.

4) I did not find a way to automatically trigger an inspection (quite like at PO arrval) for RMAs reception.

5) The client does not work with serials or lot batch : how to properly identify parts to be reconditionned (we thought about a dedicated inventory location, “isolated” from operation with part avalability controls, I guess it won’t be enough).

6) Same point as 5) for parts once reconditionned - client wants a new part_no to be created (initial part_no + “RC” for “reconditionned”. From my point of view it may cause problems in terms of master data maintenance : day to day part creation, confusion for resale activities as well.

7) Client works with weigthted average stock valuation (and no serial / lot batch as a reminder) : how to flag a reconditionned part with a lower valuation in stock vs a brand new one ? (i guess the only way is to create a new part no, not recommended from our side, other points of view are welcomed)

8) How to manage reconditionning flow ? we are thinking about the following objects : 
- Work order
- CRO (normally used for external client repair actions)
- Shop order

9) How to follow supplier return - point 2) C) 
- 2 options are possibile :
      - A new part is sent by the supplier to the company (not directlly to the client who already has its new part through previous advance replacement)
      - Credit note

10) How to keep an audit trail between the inital RMA, the new part sent in advance, potential supplier return (and finance associated impacts),the part in stock to be repairded and repair actions performed on the part. Work order allows to perform actions with differents steps and link objects together, but i’m afraid it won’t be “powerful enough” for company traceability needs.

Thanks in advance for your answer, I guess other company already faced this kind of issue.

Baptiste.

0 replies

Be the first to reply!