Selling single item with different pack quantities

• 16 August 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi All

I am new here and new to IFS.

We have a requirement where a customer might buy e.g. 18x PARTA

We actually stock PARTA in bags of 1, 5 and 10 for ease of picking/packing/handling.

As far as the customer is concerned they are buying 18x PARTA, however in the background we know the most effective way of picking/packing these parts is 1x BAG OF 10, 1x BAG OF 5 and 3x BAG OF 1.

We operate with price breaks, so 1-5 of PARTA would be £x, 6-10 would be £y and 11+ would be £z.

Option 1

In an ideal world we would just add 18x PARTA onto the customer order, and the stores would be told to pick/pack 1x BAG OF 10, 1x BAG OF 5 and 3x BAG OF 1.

This means that the price break side of things works correctly.

Option 2

The other option would be that we add 1x BAG OF 10, 1x BAG OF 5 and 3x BAG OF 1. to the order, but then the price breaks get messed up and the customer ends up paying more for the goods.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how we can achieve Option 1? Or any other approaches we could look at?

We are IFS Cloud (not currently live).

Thanks

6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi,

Have you considered using Handling Units for your stocked items? By adding items to handling units in your defined quantities, perhaps you could then utilize a combination of Handling Unit Optimization and Automatic Reservation Priorities (Largest qty on Handling Unit) to ensure the system does the correct reservation for you allowing you to achieve option 1 

Hope this helps

Kind regards

Deb

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

@dewauk Just wondering: would the system then be able to perform the actual calculation of how reservation should be done?

Steve

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi,

We looked at handling units, but I think there were additional issues when it came to putting them in stock, we would have to scan each one. And for stock takes we would have to scan each one as well.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi,

I think the only way is through modification. 

Don’t know if you already saw this answer:

Thanks

Joao

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi,

We looked at handling units, but I think there were additional issues when it came to putting them in stock, we would have to scan each one. And for stock takes we would have to scan each one as well.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

If I understand this correctly, we’re looking at doing the same.  Customer order by a case pack, (6 cans of paint in one case so they order 6 cases, our team picks 6 cases, and we invoice for 6 cases).  We are currently working on a solution that spreads wide, because they also want to be billed by the case, not the each but we manufacture and inventory by the each.

Agreed that the handing unit option seems cumbersome.  Looking forward to any other input.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@EILCTHOMPSON  I would agree with @dewauk and go with the HU solution as it’s standard for these type of scenarios. Furthermore, you could also benefit from the Packing Proposal Functionality → in regards to how the system will reserve your shipment lines.

You could watch a short demo on how Packing Proposals work. It might be useful for your scenario: