Question

Purchase Authorization Rule for 2 steps

• 20 January 2023
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

I am trying to add a new Authorization Rule that will apply to only one Supplier Stat Group - which I have built.   The part I can’t get to work is I want this rule to apply as a second set to an existing Buyer rule.

e.g.  Any and all of our purchase orders will have this “Buyer” rule run on it - what I want is for the new rule to also apply to these PO’s if it falls into the Specific Supplier Stat Group

Hope someone can help

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi, 

Sorry for the late reply.  I was just looking over the unanswered questions. 

“IF” I understand the request, you need the rule to include multiple steps.   For example, rule 1 affects that given supplier stat group.   You would then have multiple steps in the routing template. For example, set 10, step 20, and maybe step 30 if you need three different people / groups of people to authorize.  If sometimes you only need 1 or two steps, you would need a different rule and routing template. 

One rule is assigned to a given PO line, that rule can then have N steps (as noted in the routing template).   A common misstep is a failure to consider the priority of a given rule.  For example, for PO value 0-100 and stat group A we need one step, For, 1010 to 1000 we need 2 steps, and 1001 and higher we need 3 steps.  Make sure the first rule has priority like 1, the next rule, priority 2, the next rule priority 3. In this way the PO line (amount 50) is tested and matches rule 1.  If the PO is 150, then rule 1 is still tested, but it does not apply due to amount, then priority 2 is tested.   I’ve seen examples where the third rule PO >1000 was tested first, and CFO was assigned to approve thousands of PO’s. The higher value rules (more steps) is typically a higher priority number than the lower value rule.  

Hope this helps, 

Best regards