Solved

Additional info from CO to SO or Shipping

• 27 October 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi All,

What is the easiest way to get ‘additional info’ from the Customer Order to other departments - for example to Shop Orders or to Shipments.

The info we are talking about are small remarks from the customer that need to be taken into account when producing or shipping the goods. For example: “Pack in boxes no larger than 50x50x50”. Or: “Truck needs to be loaded from the side”, or “do not use plastic when shipping” - “Courier needs to call delivery contact at least 1h before arrival”.

Is there an easy way to communicate such information so it is easily visible and accessible?

Best Regards

Roel Timmermans

icon

Best answer by william.klotz 8 November 2021, 19:34

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi All,

The above question is still relevant. I would appreciate any feedback/advice that is remotely useful to the situation. So if there are any suggestions, I’d love to hear about them!

Best Regards

Roel Timmermans

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

HI @Timmermans Roel ,

We’ve created custom fields to handle information similar to you are requesting.  For example we’ve created a custom field on the address tab of the customer record to hold address specific shipping instructions such as “Call before delivery” or “Liftgate Required”.   On the shipment record we created a read only custom field which references the shipping instruction field.  We then updated the delivery note and bill of lading so to print the shipping instructions on those documents.

We also just recently created another custom field on the address tab of the customer record, the customer order header and shipment header called Work Instructions which we are going to use to convey information to customer service and shipping but we will not print this field on any documents.

All three Work Instruction fields are persistent fields of type text and multi line.   The one on the address tab of the customer record is 1500 characters while the one on the customer order is 2500 characters and finally the one on the shipment is 4000 characters.

We will copy the information from the address tab field to the customer order field when the customer order record is created or the delivery address is changed on the customer order.   We will use an event to perform the copying of the information.   We will do the same thing on the shipment record where we copy the field from the customer order to the shipment record when the shipment record is created.

Users will be able to add information to the field on the customer order or shipment record as well.

We have this working when the respective records are created we are now working on adding an action to support when changes occur so we update the Work Instructions on the customer order and shipment screens to keep everything in sync.

Regards,

William Klotz

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi William,

Thank you for your answer. I am happy to see that the answer you have come up with is almost similar to the idea that we had. I am still surprised that custom fields are the way to go to convey such info. I would think there would be a better standard practice for this. I am happy you took the time to provide me with a reply. This is much appreciated!

Best Regards

Roel Timmermans