Solved

ABC Cycle Count Set Up & Process

• 24 January 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

We would like to begin using the ABC Cycle Counting functionality in IFS and would like to better understand how to get started. We have already defined the perimeters for ABC Class and have a background job running monthly to update those values. I am curious how to dictate the count frequency per class and how the system generates the count list daily. Any help here is appreciated.

All the best,

Sarah

icon

Best answer by astfarazt 25 January 2023, 01:32

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi @saleyayukel,

Have you checked in Quantity per Location (Warehouse Management/Quantity in Stock/Analysis/Quantity per Location Details)?

On the lower right hand side, this will indicate when the Next Count Date is.  

I believe the application’s expectation is the parts were counted once prior to the interval being updated.  

Badge +1

Hello, 

So I am running into an error with the cyclic counting turned on on inventory parts. 

For some reason, when I turn ON cycle counting on inventory parts and then go to run a cycle count, the job errors out and says “no data found” I have provided screenshots to illustrate the issue. Perhaps someone can help me troubleshoot. Thank you.

Some potential thoughts 

1. Am i misinterpreting cycle count interval? will this not count anything until 121/182 days from now? it has yet to be counted tho. 
  1. is this a bug with cycle counting function on inventory part. If i take the cycle counting flag out of the equation it runs, but then does it ignore the cycle count interval?

Screenshot from inventory parts screen

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi @Sarah Neuman ,

Before I comment on the process, I want to double check to ensure you are also running the Scheduled Task to Aggregate Inventory Transactions per Period.  If this Task is not run, then the Perform ABC Task may be ignoring certain periods (would be visible in the Background Job details).

To create an automated count report by ABC class daily, you would need the following set-up

• Cyclic Count: this is defined on the Inventory Part record.  It’s a checkbox that allows you to specify if the part is used in Cycle Counting
  • Cycle Interval: This specifies the interval, in days, between when the counts should occur

For example, you may say that you want to count A parts every 20 days, B parts every 120 days and C parts every 240 days.

This update process is entirely manual, but if you’re using IFS Apps 10 or earlier, you can use the Find and Replace functionality to group Inventory Parts by ABC class and mass update the Cycle Count selection and the Cycle Intervals. 

From there, you can navigate to Create Count Report and specify the following within the Advanced tab

• ABC Class
  • Number of records to be printed: For example, if you only want to count 10 of A parts each day, you can specify that here. 

You can then schedule the Count Report to be created Daily at a certain time (or have the user manually create these daily).

With the cycle count defined with the cycle interval, the application is intelligent enough to know if not enough time has transpired between counts and it will not include that item on the count report.  This information is actually visible in the Quantity per Location details page.  

If you plan on scheduling the job to run automatically, you may want to be cautious of freezing your inventory as it will limit what transactions which can be posted after the count is created.