Solved

Change Document Repository

• 23 November 2020
  • 27 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hello,

I hope somebody out there has experience moving documents from the database to an FTP Server.

We are on IFS 9.  In my screenshots below I have a document class in the database called APPE and I want to move the documents associated to this document class to an FTP server.

I have created two repositories in the EDM Basic>Repositories windows. One line to indicate that APPE_R1 has the doc class that I want to move and another repository line APPE_R2 to accommodate the transfer of documents to the FTP repository.

Then I have used the Change Document Repository Wizard and the first step makes sense as shown in screenshot below

however then I am presented with a second page where it seems to be I have to allocate a document class again? I am confused about this screen, furthermore the Doc Class field does not offer a list of values.

I hope somebody can give us a word of advise on this matter.

Many thanks

Miguel

icon

Best answer by Mathias Dahl 2 December 2020, 09:07

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

27 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi,

The second step allow you to select what document classes you want to move from the source to the target repo. Perhaps you have missed the fact that a document repo can contain documents with several different classes?

/Mathias

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

PS. If the documentation is not clear about this, please file a case via our support and we will make sure it becomes clearer. Please suggest also what is not clear.

Thanks!

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Thank you for your reply Mathias,

Please see screenshot below, I thought the the document class was specified when you create the line in the IFS Windows below?

Miguel

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Yes. But if you use * for document class, then “all other classes” (that does not have its own repo) ends up in that one. Hence a repo can have many classes, and that is why we present an option for it :)

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

I understand that, I am just confused about the sequence of events around creating the repository lines in the first place.

I mentioned in my original post that the second step of the wizard does not give me a LOV with our document classes, what do I do about that?

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

There should not be a LOV there since you should not select any classes by entering them manually. The second step should show you the number of documents in each class that exists in that repo and you select which classes to move using the checkbox. Perhaps, if you are just playing around, you found a bug where it does not work well if there are no documents at all in that repo?

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

I see what you did now, you added a new line in the second step. Don’t do that! :) Probably my guess above is correct, there are no documents in that repo and the step did not take that scenario into account. If you like you can file a support case about this confusing behavior.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

I will work through the wizard again without creating the line in the repository and I let you now how it goes.

Many thanks for your advice

Miguel

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi,

Please see below. I have ignore step 2 of the wizard

Could you please confirm that this looks OK?

I only have 2 documents in Class APPE that I am happy to move from the Database to the FTP server.

Now I get to step 3 however I don’t have steps 4 and 5 available?

Thanks

Miguel

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

I am concerned about the first screenshot (page 1/5 of the wizard) now showing the description of the Repository. Certainly I don’t want to move 600 GB worth of documents to the FTP so I must make sure that only the documents in Class APPE are to be moved

thanks

Miguel

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

OK, I see the repository description is blank in my settings. However, I need to make sure that only the class specified in APPE_R1 is going to be moved and the Wizard is not showing me much info about number of documents to be moved, etc.

Miguel

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Are there any documents in APPE_R1?

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

APPE_R1 is linked to doc class APPE and we have 3 documents in the class as shown below

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Was those documents there already when you created the APPE_R1 repo? If yes, then they reside in one of the other repos.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

yes, so they reside in our DATABASE repository, which is in status Generating.

I thought the process described would allow me to pull them from the DATABASE repo, obviously I have got that wrong. 

I am still stuck though, how do I move documents from the DATABASE repo to an FTP repo using the wizard?. It doesn’t look possible to move documents from a repository in status Generating, please see screenshot, only repos in status Usable are available in the first step of the Wizard.

Do I have to change the status of the DATABASE repository to usable, is that advisable?

Thanks

Miguel

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

I think you should read the documentation on how that assistant works. It’s actually quite detailed. Press the F1 key on your keyboard, it’s your friend :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

I suggest that you create a test class and a test repository of type Database. Then create some documents of that class. Then set that test repository to Usable and try a move.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

OK, I will try that, thank you later today.

Please see below from F1, I don’t see any references about how to  move documents from the BLOB/Database to an FTP repo and how to deal with the generating and usable status

Use step 1 to move files from one repository to another.If the wizard is launched from the navigator, then it is possible to select which repository to move from and which repository to move to. But if the wizard is launched through a right mouse button operation, it is not possible to select which repository you should move from this will be automatically selected depending on which repository or document class you launch the wizard from. The Move From Repository area has default list of repositories which are in Usablestate. The Move to Repository area has default list of repositories which are in Generating state. When the repository ID is selected, the rest of the values are automatically updated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

It does not mention any specific type of repository since it should work the same way regardless of the repository type. It mentions that the from repositories are in Usable state and the to repositories are in Generating state. Perhaps it could have been clearer, not sure. If you like, file a support case and we will try to make sure the documentation is clearer on this subject.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi Mathias,

I have changed the status of the BLOB repository (Database) to Usable., then save.

Then I used the Change Document Repository wizard and I can see the DEFAULT repository as an option on the first section on page 1 of the Wizard.

However in the second screenshot you can see how I am not able to select a document CLASS in the DEFAULT repository to be moved to a chosen new repository. There isn’t a list of values with all the classes available in the DEFAULT repository. We do have many document classes in the BLOB.

So, I am still not able to move document classes from our BLOB to an FTP server.

Could you please advise when you have a minute?

Many thanks

Miguel

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi,

I cannot explain what you describe. Step two should show a list (not in a LOV) of document classes that are stored in DEFAULT, and the number of documents in each class. Perhaps some bug, not sure.

Can you do this:

• Start the Debug Console
  • Start the assistant again, like you did above
  • Go to the second step
  • Look in the Debug Console and try to identify the SELECT that runs to populate the list of document classes.
  • Copy and paste the SELECT here.

Perhaps we can see what is wrong and perhaps you will also get a clue from how the SELECT looks and what input it uses, or from any result (it looks like there are no hits, but we’ll see).

If this does not give a clue, perhaps it is better to file a support case such that someone can do a more focused effort of helping out.

/Mathias

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi Mathias,

Thank you for your reply. Please see below

I think this is the Page 1/5 corresponding code:

BEGIN DECLARE sLocType VARCHAR2(30); BEGIN :p0 := &AO.EDM_LOCATION_API.Get_Description( :p1 ); :p2 := &AO.EDM_LOCATION_API.Get_Location_Type( :p1 ); sLocType := &AO.EDM_LOCATION_API.Get_Location_Type( :p1 ); :p3 := &AO.EDM_LOCATION_TYPE_API.Encode(sLocType); :p4 := &AO.EDM_LOCATION_API.Get_Location_Status( :p1 ); END; 
EXCEPTION 
WHEN &AO.Error_SYS.Err_Security_Checkpoint THEN 
raise; 
WHEN OTHERS THEN 
rollback; 
raise; 
END;

and I think this is the page 2/5 corresponding code:

select OBJID, OBJVERSION, DOC_CLASS, &AO.DOC_CLASS_API.Get_Doc_Name(DOC_CLASS), &AO.EDM_FILE_API.Get_File_Count(DOC_CLASS, LOCATION_NAME), LOCATION_NAME from &AO.EDM_LOCATION where ( LOCATION_NAME = 'DEFAULT' AND DOC_CLASS IN( SELECT DISTINCT DOC_CLASS FROM &AO.EDM_FILE WHERE LOCATION_NAME = 'DEFAULT' ))

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

if I run that last SQL statement in SQL Developer I don’t get any results either

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

That SQL does not look right. 

Seems the scenario where you move from the * repo is not covered. I think the reason is that, when this feature was added, the primary scenario was to move from class-specific repos to one central, in the database.

In theory you could workaround this limitation/bug by manipulating the repository table (edm_location_tab) as well as the table where all file references are stored, to “fit” the SQL.

Basically you would add one “new” repo per class that is already stored in your DEFAULT repo, and change the repo (location_name) in the file reference table (edm_file_tab) to match.

I think you have found a bug, and I think you should report it.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Thank you for your help Mathias. 

I will report this bug.