Question

Settings for a part changed as a product when it used

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi,

On a request we have a part need (For the part : we flag: “part to product” “Asset) .
We shipped the part (for example  from a warehouse to a VAN tech)

When we (the tech)  declare the part as used in mobility, we also want that the part is considered as installed in the customer site. That is to say  when we go on the Place transaction we want to see the (part) Product installed. 

For this scenario : what are the settings ?
we thought that the flags (For the part : we flag: “part to product” “Asset)  on the part transaction will allow the “release” of the part in product, but it’s not the case. what settings or steps are lacking ?

Thanks for your help and regards

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi,

You can control this in Code table with Part_line_Code that you select in the Transaction.

In the part line code setting, if you select the option “Part Becomes Prod” with the Install, it will create a Product soon the part Transaction is made.

Hope this help.

Regards,

Kasun

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi, @Kasun Manuranga 

Thanks for your help. I have some additional questions.
As I said, in my logistics process flow the part is shipped from a warehouse to the VAN tech.

Then the tech will declare the part used and at this step, I guess the part will be declared as a product in the customer site.

1/ For this logistics flow : FSM couldn’t allow me to select “Install” or “billable part” for the flow “warehouse to the VAN tech” , the only option that works is “Transfert”. So could you suggest to set the 2 flags you mentioned for the “Transfert” part line code ?

2/ As you said Install a part to a product is managed by the Part line code. So, for the part is it optional or required to set the  the part as “Asset” and/or “Part to product” ? What setting is required for the part if I want to have this Part installed as a product when I used it ?

Thanks and Regards

anthony

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi Anthony,

1. If a part moved from Warehouse to Van, its an inventory Transfer between two Locations. So if you setup two options for Transfer type, soon the shipment is done it will create a Product for that particular part so I see this is not a valid Process. Therefore its should not the correct way.

2. Part can become a Product in Several ways.
 #. When you processed a Part Need using any Line code where the two options marked in those lines codes.
 #. If reported a "Usage" using a Line code with the mentioned two options, soon you saved the Usage, it will create a Product.

"Part to product" option in a Part record indicates whether a product is created when the part is used. For example if you tried to use a Part with "Part to product" option is unchecked with one of Line code where those two options enabled, then you will not be able to post a shipment or report a usage but there will be an error stating that "The part XXX is not eligible to become a product". But you are able to use such parts as a Billable parts.
\So "Part to product" is enabled for any part that can becomes a Product i.e. we deliver that as a Product to the customer. 

Also you may find "Part to Product" option in a Product Record as well, that indicates whether this product can become a part in inventory and that a separate thing. Asset means  that option identifies the part as an asset to the company.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Kasun

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

@Kasun Manuranga 

Thanks for your help. Could you explain what do you mean by “this is not a valid Process. Therefore its should not the correct way.” 
Could you explain the valid process with a example  for a very used business case :
1/ For a request, the part is shipped from a warehouse (or Office’tech) to the VAN tech
2/ Then The tech will use the part in mobility and this part will become a Product on the Customer site

Could you explain with sreenshots of request/task/part need  and settings required  
Thanks for your help
Regards