Question

IFS Report Rule - Check In To Document Management not uploading to shared Repository

• 2 June 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

I have created a Check in To Document Management report rule in IFS that stores a copy of a customer invoice pdf file to the logical unit CustomerOrderInvHead.

This feature successfully attaches the customer invoice pdf in our DEV10 UPD10 environment which is using a repository type Database, the attached file can be opened and viewed.

After implementing this feature in our PROD10 UPD10 environment which is using a Shared repository type the report rule feature does attach the customer invoice pdf file but users are unable to view or open it. The pdf file is also not being added to the shared repository. The error message they receive is “Failed to read the file from the file system repository \\example\path_name_here\invoice.pdf (the system cannot find the file specified)

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi David,

Unfortunately I think that feature only works with our Database repository. If you need the files in a Shared repo you can move them afterwards, perhaps in batches at regular intervals. Just an idea.

/Mathias

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

@Mathias Dahl  - I’m curious how you would move.  My understanding is

1. Repository is based on document class
  2. You can’t change a document class after the initial create
  3. A document class can only have 1 repository
  4. The only way to move between repositories is to move the document class to a new repository

So - how would you go about moving a document between repositories to get around this problem?

Also - where can I find the functional differences between the different document repository types?  We made the decision to move to Shared Repositories because our database size was becoming an issue and we used the advantages/disadvantages info in IFS help to determine if shared met our needs.  No functional differences were listed (like doesn’t support Report Rules add to Document Management).  And Report Rules help also doesn’t mention you have to have a database repository for this to work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi,

You can change the status of the repo used for a certain class to Usable, then move documents from that repo to another one (using the assistant), then change back the status to Generating. I have not tested this recently, but this is how it should work.

There are very few functional differences between the different repository types. The most prominent one is that the content search feature only works for the Database repo. Then there are subtle technical differences in the support for SOX.

If you find things that are lacking in the documentation, don’t hesitate to file a support case.

/Mathias

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Unfortunately I think that feature only works with our Database repository. If you need the files in a Shared repo you can move them afterwards, perhaps in batches at regular intervals. Just an idea.

A small update on this. When we checked the code, it is very clear this functionality only supports the Database repository. We even throw an error if the repo is FTP or Shared. The problem is that this error is later silenced in the reporting rule framework.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi,

You can add another report rule with “Route to Connect”, or in the same rule but another action.

Then you can setup Routing Rules, Routing Address and FILE_SENDER, to upload the file on the shared repository.

We had same kind of requirement but we needed it on FTP server, so we used FTP_SENDER.

More details about the solution can be found here -

Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi @Rohit 

Thanks for sharing this, it is most helpful.