Question

IFS FSM Mobile App on Android Studio not completing initialisation

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

We have been trying for some time to get the Android Studio emulator with IFS FSM Mobile App installed to initialise. 

Versions tried FSM6u8 and FSM6u9.

Our Dev environment cannot be opened up to the internet therefore, all traffic is internal. 

Below is where we are at:

• The emulator successfully connects to the FSM Mobile Web service and allows us to pull down the app via the Emulator Web Browser.
  • The APK is installed and allows the user to enter the credentials and the authenticates.
    • The entry in the Mobile Dashboard  shows that the device record is written.
  • During initialisation:
    • The App Server creates all the files needed in the mobiledb as expected.
    • The Web Server stores the files in the Download folder as expected.
  • Finally looking at the emulator, in the Downloads folder all files are marked as “Queued” and never downloaded to the device.

My question is, does the completion of the initialisation depend upon the device having access to the internet for some reason? Our dev environment cannot access anything external.

Any support or guidance would be very much appreciated.

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

Hi @AngeloPav,

There should not be a need to use the internet to initialise a device.

As to why this is occurring, that would require a thorough investigation of the setup as it could be one of many things.

Kind regards,

Lee Pinchbeck

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Thanks for coming back to us Lee,..

We have been at this for some time and investigated many things.

The reason why we thought that external access was needed was because, in testing the Android Studio in our Production environment the initialisation completes without any issues.
Trying the same in DEV which is a closed off to the outside world starts the initialisation fine but fails at the point of downloading the database and other files from the Mobile Web Server. All the files to be downloaded appear in the Downloads folder on the device as “Queued” and never download.

Upon studying and comparing each Log Cat for each scenario (i.e. Production and Dev) we can clearly see in the Production environment where the “Android Download Manager Service” is initiated and starts to download each file. Whereas in the DEV environment the Android Download Manager Service never gets called.

We have checked the the “web.config” on the web server for the path of the “Download” folder and this appears correct. Is there any other location where this URL is specified for this location specifically that we may have missed?

Any support you can provide would be greatly appreciated as we have been stuck with this for a few weeks now..

regards,

Angelo

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

Hi @AngeloPav,

This is a bit beyond the scope of what we can offer via the Community forums. I would suggest logging this as a case so a more complex investigation can be done on the IFS side.

The only thing I would suggest is that perhaps it is some firewall or other infrastructure element blocking the call. Hopefully this will also have logs that you can check to confirm where and why it is preventing the pull. Beyond that we would be getting in to your specific setup which I would like to avoid on the public forum.

Kind regards,

Lee Pinchbeck