Solved

[FSM] Auto Populate field based on screen

• 14 December 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

full context: were looking at giving the users the ability to create a request from the place screen.

This would either be by clicking a button that redirects them to the request screen or having a tab on the lower pane that will have the new request related fields.

My question is, how can i auto-populate the “Place ID” on the Request, to that of the Place record they’re currently displaying? I wouldn't think a business rule would do this so perhaps a new button with a xml message in it?

Not sure what that would look like to reference to the current place record but hoping i can be helped here.

icon

Best answer by AdrianEgley 15 December 2020, 11:39

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @jbernardo,

If I was doing this then I would look to add a button via the UI Designer and ‘Set Perform Message’ by right clicking on the button.

From there you can set it up to trigger a perform message. I have a done a few for either performing Custom XML or Custom Input XML. Depending what other fields you want to set or have has variables then pick accordingly.

A Custom XML will do the job. 

Some basic steps.

For the ‘Perform’ message drop the ‘Perform’ and add as ‘CUSTOM_XML’

For the Parameters you will specify the datarow (in your example that would be place).

Then a second parameter for the xml_message. This could be your basic XML insert with the <place_id> tags containing @place_id.

Other values such as request type, priority etc. can be added.

As I said above the input XML perform would then allow you to then potential allow users to pick different variables (these can be from set ComboBox or Free Text) for values on the request table. The process is pretty much the same. You just need to add in all the required parameters for that perform.

I hope I have explained that well enough.

Ady

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

I’d also be interested to know if there are other ways of achieving the same outcome.

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

Hi @jbernardo @AdrianEgley ,

The other way I have seen this done is to have the product tab have an additional column with a tick box for new request. Additional fields can then be used on the line for any details that you wish to default that are not already present on the record and on save this will trigger a business rule looking for a change on the new request field. The out put of the rule can then be the MPM to generate a new request and can pass the relevant field entries as parameters to the MPM so that they are on the request when created.

This then allows also for the original product line to be updated after creation to display the created request with a hyperlink to follow for review or further editing. If you do not want to use product you could instead have a request tab with a new button that would then work in a similar way.

Kind regards,

Lee Pinchbeck

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi @jbernardo @AdrianEgley ,

The other way I have seen this done is to have the product tab have an additional column with a tick box for new request. Additional fields can then be used on the line for any details that you wish to default that are not already present on the record and on save this will trigger a business rule looking for a change on the new request field. The out put of the rule can then be the MPM to generate a new request and can pass the relevant field entries as parameters to the MPM so that they are on the request when created.

This then allows also for the original product line to be updated after creation to display the created request with a hyperlink to follow for review or further editing. If you do not want to use product you could instead have a request tab with a new button that would then work in a similar way.

Kind regards,

Lee Pinchbeck

Hi Lee,

this sounds great and while i get what you are saying i am not sure how it will be accomplished?

I was looking at which MPM there are to perform and i dont see any related to a request. I am on v5.7

Could you help with an example of what a rule like that would look like?

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

Hi @jbernardo,

You would need to write your own script that accepts as variable inputs the field values you want to default and then creates a new record with these values in the request table. This can then be added to the system and then the Business Rule can be set to run that script as an output.

Hope this helps,

Lee Pinchbeck