Question

Document Macro

• 12 January 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

The creation of the View document (PDF file) can be supported with a macro ? if yes, can someone help me to build it ?

And is a macro can create a structure doc with a child document ?

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

hi @Carole 

I will assume the document is a .docx

i believe you would have to check the document out, print/save it to PDF, then check it back in.  

The print/save to PDF part could be recorded as a macro.

You would still need to check it out and check it back in manually.  I don’t see how a macro could do that.  Maybe someone will see it differently. 

Badge +1

Hi @Carole 

Such a script would be on the complex side to accomplish. Not impossible, though.

Could something like this be helpful? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

@ADDGREGEL 

Yes, this is what we would like…

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

> The creation of the View document (PDF file) can be supported with a macro ?

Yes, either a macro that Docman starts when the user checks in the document, or an “auto macro” in Word could create the PDF when the user saves or closes (I think) the document in Word. In both cases Docman will pick up the PDF file if it finds it alongside the original.

> And is a macro can create a structure doc with a child document ?

That would be quite complex, if you mean that the macro should connect to IFS in the background and create a child document revision. In theory, possible, but hard to pull off without someone with good technical knowledge of IFS and Docman.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

@Mathias Dahl

Is there any doc on macro building for the PDF file which can help me because I am not confortable with that. I remember that in the previous IFS community, there was a lot of documentation and examples but not able to reach anymore  :-(

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

@Mathias Dahl

Is there any doc on macro building for the PDF file which can help me because I am not confortable with that. I remember that in the previous IFS community, there was a lot of documentation and examples but not able to reach anymore  :-(

I’m sure some might have copies of such macros lying around. Perhaps @Hans Andersen has one?

The documentation should mention how to setup the basic data for macros though, but it would not include details like how to create PDF files for different applications/formats.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I’m sure some might have copies of such macros lying around. Perhaps @Hans Andersen has one?

He does not.