Question

Can you suppress the Document attachment dialogue prompt?

• 24 February 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Is there a way to suppress this document selection screen?

We are trying to automate the printing of attachments through Shop Floor Workbench using the Create Reports button.  There is a Print Attached Documents check box that does not really function in a practical manner (it’s on the IFS idea wall).  In the meantime, we wrote an event that takes the Routing Work Guidelines and recreates those attachments at the Shop Order Work Guideline level to make this button work.  

The issue is that this dialogue comes up and you have to press OK before each attachment will print. 

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

Try under Document Management > Basic Data > User Settings (has to be done per user, so they have to have access to this dialog).  You may be able to suppress it with changing the settings here.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

I did try this from a post on a similar issue on this forum and it does not prevent the dialogue box from appearing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

I did try this from a post on a similar issue on this forum and it does not prevent the dialogue box from appearing.

It looks like this is a bug. That option does work for View but not for Print it seems. It would be good if you could report it via the normal support channels. If, that is, this is in Apps 10.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

It seems like those settings work as designed, if I’m setting my user settings to “Display the view/print dialog” window when I open an attachment, it’s doing just that.

I don’t want it to display any dialogue window, I basically want to be able to double click the attachment and it opens.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

It seems like those settings work as designed, if I’m setting my user settings to “Display the view/print dialog” window when I open an attachment, it’s doing just that.

I don’t want it to display any dialogue window, I basically want to be able to double click the attachment and it opens.

Now it seems we are not discussing Print anymore, but that’s fine :) It should be possible to control Print in the same way as View, at least when it comes to the standard way of doing it (via the attachments or the View and Print buttons in Document Revision, it might not always work the same when other forms “call upon Docman”)

And, again, it looks like, for Print, the settings used to hide the dialog do not work right now.

Are you aware of the functionality in Document Class Process Action? It plays part in all this.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Sorry for the confusion on my part, we are discussing print 

The setting referenced above says “Display the print/view dialog”  That appeared to me to be exactly what was happening, but I understand what your saying.  It’s not showing me the Print/View dialog it’s displaying a select document type window prior to the print dialogue box.  I’m looking to have no user interaction once they select Create Reports and pick select print attached documents and click OK.  If they had to click OK one time on the print/view dialog if we could get that to come up, that’d be OK also.  It sounds like, we may have a bug as you originally stated.

I know of Document Class Process actions, but I have not created any before.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

When we say we want to supress/hide that dialog we need to consider all the options in it. They are very different. For example, we have the question about which document type to view:

That question only needs an answer if the document both has a original (Word, Excel, AutoCAD, etc.) and view copy file (almost always a PDF but could be of a different file format as well) checked in.

Then there is the part about how the checked out file should be named on disk. This is controlled in the Document Class Process Action screen:

It’s always easy to say what is right and wrong when you have the answer, but the Force… option above might have been a better default than to ask the user, as we do by default now. But it can be controlled anyway, and it is not very hard to set up unless you have hundreds of document classes and they are changing all the time.

Then there are times where it seems the settings have no effect. For example, if you have setup an external document viewer to be used, you will always have the option to use that, when you use the View Document command:

So, don’t set an external viewer application if you do not plan to use it :)

And, as mentioned above, these settings apply to view and print used from a document, either from a screen like Document Revision or from Attachments / Documents. It might not always work like this when other screens “calls Docman”. Sometimes that can be fixed, sometimes not, depending on what it is about.

Hope this post explains things. It should all be documented, of course, and if you find the documentation is not clear enough, or even wrong, please let us know.

Good luck!