Attachments in an FSM cloud installation

• 23 June 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +9
  • Sidekick (Partner)
  • 59 replies

Hi experts,

I’m trying to understand how the attachments are stored in an FSM cloud installation. There are two parts to my question.

1.  This is a trivial one. Where is an attachment stored?

Upon reading the documentation, I understand that it’s either stored in the database or the network file storage. In the environment I’m working with (an FSM cloud installation) I see the following setup,

When I make a query for the attachments

So, are the above documents (ex: 34,35,36) stored in the database itself or in a network storage? 

2.  How do I get access to the network storage location?

Just to give some context, I’m reading the following bit from the Odata documentation,

I’m not sure how to obtain this fsmshare location. Is it a default location that’s available with an FSM cloud installation, or is this something that needs to be setup?

Thanks in advance!

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi Miraj,

As I see in your pictures, yet the Attachment Directory is not setup hence the documents could have been saved either in the Database or fetching it from a file path. File path can be a driver location in a local pc.

You can check it opening the the attachment or from a SQL query as well. Check for the picture> Stored means this is saved in the DB unless there should be a file path to one of the driver.

If the file is saved in the network attachment directory then you will see the file path connected to that attachment directory setup in the APP PARAM.

Then regarding how to get network storage location>

If this is a Could managed environment you need to contact the cloud team to request for this Azure Storage Location. Then they will provide you the configuration data i.e. Azura storage location URL also as I am aware some security setup as well included there.

Please contact the Could team for that setup.

Also this ATTACHMENT_FORCE_DIRECTORY, can use to force the attachment always into the attachment directory but not to save in the DB or taking from a local pc.

Hope this helps :)

Best Regards,

Kasun

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Thanks a lot for that detailed answer @Kasun Manuranga 

In light of that answer, I have the following example attachment which I’m trying to understand

As you can see, it’s not stored in the database, and has a file path setup. This file is not in my computer.
Yet, when I click “edit” I see the document is downloaded to the following location and opens up

So, my question is, where is this document coming from? As the attachment directory details are not setup in the app params, does the file path here refer to a location in the fsm application server? 

Thanks!

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Thanks a lot for that detailed answer @Kasun Manuranga 

In light of that answer, I have the following example attachment which I’m trying to understand

As you can see, it’s not stored in the database, and has a file path setup. This file is not in my computer.
Yet, when I click “edit” I see the document is downloaded to the following location and opens up

So, my question is, where is this document coming from? As the attachment directory details are not setup in the app params, does the file path here refer to a location in the fsm application server? 

Thanks!

Hi Miraj,

A document cab be stored mainly in following places.

1. In the database (Stored)
  2. Attachment directory.
  3. Folder from a person Local PC

Usually when you create a new document is gives you the following message

When you click Yes, It will copy to the attachment directory if NO then it will take the file path of the document in your local PC. If that is a shared folder only then other users can view it unless that particular user only will have the access.

In addition if you want to stored in the DB, either you have to do it manually or through Custom metadata or create a new screen in UI designer with stored option set TRUE.

Hope this helps.

/Kasun