Question

IFS Apps 10 Map Position

• 11 December 2019
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

We are using a custom menu in APPS 10 to create a location and add it to a functional object. The map position does not automatically generate. Is there any way to make this automatic or is there some process that can be run via an event to make it set the map positions?

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @randallkern The mapping of addresses to coordinates on the map (also known as “geocoding”) is done via “Retrieve Location Map Position” window. If you set the right configurations and run Retrieve Positions, then you should get correct location data for all the addresses in functional objects. 

IFS uses same geocoder as Bing Maps therefor you can always compare data between retrieved map positions and by searching the address in Bing Maps. If they are different, then you need to change your configurations so that it will retrieve correct data.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Is there an API that we can call to run this automatically? I tried running debug and don’t see it calling one.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Is there an API that we can call to run this automatically? I tried running debug and don’t see it calling one.

If you want to do actual geocoding, it cannot be done in the server today. The geocoding that we have in IFS Applications is currently only available in the client, as @amila explained above. The only way you could do this in the client is by a customization that would call the same client API that the above mentioned form does.

The “funny” thing here is that, some forms (don’t remember which ones now) actually does this automatically. But since you want to do it from a custom menu, from which you can only call PL/SQL code, you’re out of luck…

Since I know very little about your use case I cannot say if there could be another way of solving the problem. For example, how do you create the location? Why? What name do you give it? How do you find the address? Etc. Could you create or locations on beforehand and give then addresses, then use the standard form mentioned above to generate map positions from them? Then, as I remember it, if you set a location on the object, via the standard LOV, it should inherit the map position from the location. And, even if it does not, you could do that with a custom event or in your custom menu.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Normally in the service related areas, the address is automatically converted if the mapping is done correctly in the window referred to by Amila.