Question

Change object from company owned to customer owned?

• 13 February 2020
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Is there a reason you cannot change an object you have created from company owned to customer owned?

When creating a serial object in the serial objects view, you can select company or customer owned. When creating a serial object in the object view, you cannot and by default the object is created as company owned.

Only when it is returned on the returns tab in the work order, can it be changed to customer owned. But this does not change the ownership of the object itself, which will forever stay company owned.

Is there an incentive to change this? Does it matter?

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

Hi Kelli,

I cannot comment on whether R&D is likely to change this functionality, but at present, as you say there is not an easy path to change this setting.

In some scenarios it is possible to bring the object into inventory, then “sell” it to a customer on a zero-dollar customer order.  That changes the ownership.   It would be feasible to automate that process into a script rather than having to do a ton of transactions manually.  If using a script, there are other options to solve the problem but you would be straying from the IFS business logic so i cannot recommend that approach here :-)

I often recommend people ignore the field or hide it, if it is not adding much value.  The Parties tab is generally a better and more flexible way of identifying/managing who the customer(s) is/are.  For example, the item was sold to customer A but is operate by B.  Parties tab lets you manage all that.