Cleanup of customer orders

• 9 February 2021
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi All Users,

I would like to share below information with regard to the Job ‘Cleanup of Customer Orders’.

Cleanup is a very dangerous way of getting rid of old data and not a recommended approach either. Archiving is much safer but then customers need to take care of the archiving themselves which is something they do not want invest time in. Unfortunately customers use clean up extensively and we do add on more obvious deletion of dependencies as and when reported by customers. However, we have never guaranteed that all links to the deleted object would be removed. Inventory Transactions are not considered in the clean-up. as there could be postings created and already transferred to General Ledger. It may even be wrong to remove these transactions from an auditing perspective.

So ultimately you will end up having inventory transactions for order headers which do not exist. The worst part comes in if you re-use the same order number (not recommended) later for any reason. This could take the historical inventory transactions data also into calculation if a new order with the old order number is found to have the same part number as in the historical (cleaned up) order.

This could lead to incorrect cost calculation. So I recommend to avoid Cleanup of customer orders as much as possible.

Regards

Susith

This topic has been closed for comments

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @Susith ,

Thank you for the information,  I’m would assume the same would be true for cleaning up shop orders, and clocking, etc. from the manufacturing side of IFS.   We were just looking at the cleanup routines for customer orders and shop orders figuring we’d purge records older than 5 years.   We’ll have to research using archiving we’ve never done this before.

Regards,

William Klotz