Solved

Estimate Bid Management

• 1 November 2019
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hello All, 

We are an IFS Apps 10 customer, and we are in the middle of our implementation. We have run into an issue with regard to the Estimating module. The issue we are facing is creating an estimate for a part that has operation steps at multiple sites. We may have a part that has an operation step in one facility, and it is then shipped to another facility for additional manufacturing. We have been unable to build this estimate, as the module seems to require you to use the same site for all parts in the estimate. I believe we may be setting the estimate up incorrectly, but I am not sure. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated! 

icon

Best answer by michse 5 November 2019, 08:13

View original

7 replies

Badge +3

Hi,

Multi-site handling is a part of the estimate solution both for parts with component type New and Existing.

Parts with component type Existing:

If the Primary Supplier - Purchase is defined as an internal supplier and if the Multi-site Planned Part check box is selected then then a node for the purchase part is established for the Demand site and one node is established for the Supply site (the site defined for the internal supplier). It is then possible to add parts below the Supply site node and the cost calculation is based on the parts and operations related to the supply node.

Note: if the Multi-site Planned Part check box isn’t selected then no node is established for the Supply site, then the part is treated as an ordinary purchase part and the price for the part is fetched according to the hierarchy;

1. Supplier agreement
  2. Supplier Price List
  3. Single price for the Supplier for Purchase Part Record
  4. Inventory value

Parts with component type New:

If a Multi-site handed part with component type New shall be added to the estimate and it is a requirement to base the calculation on the cost build-up of the parts added for the supply site, then must the Multi-site Planned Part check box in the estimate Detail tab or Component tab be selected before save of the record. It is not possible to change this setting for the record once save. This is due to that such change can have impact on the work scope which cannot be allowed if there are versions confirmed. So, if this check box needs to be set for a saved record then delete and re-add of the part is the way forward.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Thank you very much for the detailed response. This answers my question!

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

I am attempting to create the scenario you described above and I’m unsure of one item. If I am producing a part that has a stamping operation at my primary site, and then it will be shipped to our other facility for a welding operation, how do I represent that in the estimate? I do not see where I can add operations for the remote site work. Thank you!

Badge +3

OK let see if I got this correct. The intention isn’t to procure a full multi-site planned part is it just to procure an operation, an outside operation which in you case is supplied from another site. The you must set up an outside operation with your internal supplier as the supplier for the work center. Create a Supplier for Purchase Part record representing the Welding operation. For the relevant part in your estimate structure you add the operation representing the welding, use the work center and use the list of value to select the Outside Operation Item.

What happens now is that this operation is consider as a purchase, so we consider the price of the Outside Operation Item instead of calculating the operation cost as for an internal operation.  The price is retrieved according to the hierarchy described in my previous answer. This means that when you perform you calculation the price of the Outside Operation Item will be considered as  a part of the operation cost for the part:relaxed: .    

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Yes, that is correct. We were instructed to setup our IFS solution in that manner. No shop orders should span multiple sites (prior to IFS, we had Shop Order that would cross through multiple plants). We have parts that start in one facility, have an operation performed to them, they are shipped to another facility for additional operations, then are shipped out the customer. The way it was explained to us, is that there should be a shop order created for that operation in plant A, that shop order closes, the parts are shipped to plant B, and a Shop Order in plant B finishes the operations to that part. From what I understand, that is accomplished through distribution orders and the Planning Network MRP. We were told this was the only way to have costs allocated properly (labor, sales, etc.) as well as achieve a plant-level P&L. I hope that is correct...

Badge +3

The thing you refer to is the execution part of the shop order containing the outside operation for the welding operation. I guess this setup is done or recommended by a consultant based on your business. So, I cannot and shouldn’t comment around that since I am not familiar with your business.

What’s described in my previous answer is just how the estimate is intended to be used if there is an outside operation included in the work scope (in your case an internal supplier at another site), setup of execution is something else.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Understood. Yes, it was based on consultant recommendation. Thank you again for shedding light on this!