Question

Discounts and/or Negative Quantity on Customer Order

• 28 October 2020
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Is it possible for the customer order discount functionality to work with quantities instead/in addition to price? We have a customer that needs to be discounted a % of quantity, with the price remaining the same.

If not, is there a way to enter a negative sales quantity on an order line to show the “discount/credit” so it can all be invoiced together?

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

Hi @hcskisaak 

The idea of a discount of quantity doesn’t make sense to me.

Can you explain what you are really trying to acheive?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

@paul harland  Meaning, if I say I want a discount of 5%, I want 5% taken off the quantity, while the price is still the same. 

Current: 

• Price = $100, Sales Quantity = 50, Net Amount = $5,000
  • Add a discount of 5% to the line
    • Price = $95, Sales Quantity = $50, Net Amount = $4,750

Desired:

• Price = $100, Sales Quantity = 50, Net Amount = $5,000
  • Add a discount of 5% to the line for quantity
    • Price = $100, Sales Quantity = 47.5, Net Amount = $4,750

Or, is there a way to add a line with a negative quantity, so it is a credit?

• Line 1: Product A, Price = $100, Sales Quantity = 50, Net Amount = $5,000
  • Line 2: Product A, Price = $100, Sales Quantity = -2.5, Net Amount = -$250
Userlevel 7
Badge +24

But why not simply change the quantity to 47.5?

What will this desired approach get you that you won’t get by changing the quantity?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Customer wants to see the full quantity less the discounted quantity.

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

I think you are going to have to do some work using the invoice layout to present this.

You could look at using one of the other quantity fields on the order line, e.g. Desired Quantity to hold the full quantity 50.

Alternatively you could create a custom field for your full quantity.

Badge +2

@paul harland  Meaning, if I say I want a discount of 5%, I want 5% taken off the quantity, while the price is still the same. 

Current: 

• Price = $100, Sales Quantity = 50, Net Amount = $5,000
  • Add a discount of 5% to the line
    • Price = $95, Sales Quantity = $50, Net Amount = $4,750

Desired:

• Price = $100, Sales Quantity = 50, Net Amount = $5,000
  • Add a discount of 5% to the line for quantity
    • Price = $100, Sales Quantity = 47.5, Net Amount = $4,750

Or, is there a way to add a line with a negative quantity, so it is a credit?

• Line 1: Product A, Price = $100, Sales Quantity = 50, Net Amount = $5,000
  • Line 2: Product A, Price = $100, Sales Quantity = -2.5, Net Amount = -$250

Hi hcskisaak,

based on your scenario, you can use from Sales Promotions Functionality. A sales promotion is a sales incentive offered by you as a supplier to your customers. Sales promotions are applied to customer orders and sales quotations as negative charges. The deal has one or many buy conditions which define the required buying behavior and one or many get conditions which define the promoted parts you need to order. by using from this feature, you can offer other part with discount to customer.

for example:  “Buy 2 pieces of Part A,  and get 50 % discount on 1 piece of Part B”. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi @n-warrior, i dont think sales promotion will work on this scenario, as that is normally used for additional items or benefits to offer to the customer, but here the supplier is getting the additional benefit not the customer as this 5% discount means supplier has to issue less items to the customer.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

You have the Option to calculate discounts based on Order amount, Order Weight, Order Volume (actual physical cubic measurements) by attaching a discount group at sales part, and then calculating group discount. However, discount is given in terms of pricing/by reducing price. ( If you use negative discount percentages, you can use this functionality to create additional charges.)

In your case, you are referring to a scenario like below.

• Buy three T-shirts, get one for free. (1 T-Shirt =20USD)
    • Buy one pair of shoes, get laptop bag with 50% discount (pair of shoes= 100USD, laptop bag 100USD)

You can use ‘Campaign/Sales Promotions Functionality for your business requirement. Sales promotions are applied to customer orders and sales quotations as negative charges. Then your invoice will look like below.

• 3T-shirts                60 USD
    • Pair of shoes      100 USD
    • Lap top bag        100 USD

Sub-total:                                                                     260 USD

Promotion: Three T-shirts, one for free                   -20 USD

Promotion: laptop bag 50% discount                     -50 USD

Invoice net amount                                                   190USD

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Good suggestion @Rangi Wijewardana , thank you :pray: