Solved

Update connected objects Sales Quote from Business Opportunity

• 14 February 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hello, 

I’m having an issue understanding the workflow in IFS as it relates to Sales Quote generation. Currently, we are starting the process at Business Opportunity. An opportunity line would be entered for a top line part, which would be saved as a Non-Existing Part. From there an Estimate is created for the part. The calculation is made and the Business Opportunity is updated via the connected object from the Estimate to the Opportunity. In order to create a quote, we have to register the part using Register Non-Existing Part in Business Opportunity. When that is done, you can then RMB the opportunity line and create a Sales Quote. The issue becomes when you need to change the quote for any reason, the Business Opportunity is not also updated to reflect the change. If you adjust Contribution Margin on the Sales Quote, that does not update the Business Opportunity. Additionally, if you need to modify the Estimate, when you update the connected object to the Business Opportunity, you cannot also update the Quote you created. I’m having trouble understanding how I should handle this flow, the way I’m currently attempting to manage it does not feel that it aligns with how IFS intends for you to use the product. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

icon

Best answer by michse 20 February 2020, 10:21

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

We are having the same problems. Some examples would be useful. @michse can you help?  

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

The only workaround I have found to maintain accurate numbers is by using the Versions in the Estimating module. If I create a duplicate version, run the calculate, create the quotation directly from the Estimate. By doing this, I can maintain cost changes and margin on both, but this method is very cumbersome and requires toggling between versions. Again, I feel as though I’m using the modules incorrectly from a workflow standpoint.

Badge +3

Since I have been requested to answer this question I will…

See the attached document.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Your document is very helpful. Thanks a lot @michse 

Some thoughts and suggestions.

Quoting non-existing parts
We had the understanding that quoting an non-existing parts was an option. That was the main reason why we brought the system. If we cannot quote non-existing parts and non-existing external operations, we cannot use Sales quotes in IFS. We are considering using Sales Opportunity and Estimate and then make a custom sales quote from there instead.

Mach Run Factor
The machine run time must come from somewhere. E.g. the time it takes to laser cut a part based on cut length, material and thickness. Right now, we will have to do that in a separate system. It is our intention to integrate Aurena Estimate with Office 365 Excel for that. We had our current quote system running against Google Spreadsheet 10 years ago but abandon it because of limitation in the Google Spreadsheet API.  If you are interested in the solution, let me know.

Prices breaks
We always quote a part with different quantities. In Estimate, we seem to do that with versions (please correct me, if I am mistaken). In my understanding it should then go into sales breaks in Sales quotation. Apparently, it does not. Hence, how do you make Sales Breaks in Estimate?   

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Thank you very much for the write-up, that does shed some light on the process. I’m glad R&D are aware it is an issue. We’re having the same issues as @Hans Andersen with regard to quoting non-existing parts. 

Badge +3

As I mentioned we do recognize Sales Quotation and non-existing parts as a limitation, and it is a backlog item that we do have. If it is of importance for your company, I suggest you add a request so it can be included in coming discussions for what to be planned for future development of the estimate solution.

Which way to go for present based on the current solution that is up to your company to evaluate and decide, hopefully with good support from the IFS consultant organization.

However, to be noticed is that when you create the sales part for the non-existing part on the Business Opportunity Line in my suggestion then it is only the top part that is created as a manufactured inventory part. If there is a Lost of the Sales Quotation then data is just established for one unnecessary inventory part, not the full product structure. I am fully aware of that this is not optimal but any way…

You have got it correct! The versions are the function to use when quantity breaks are involved in the quote, it is the easiest and smoothest way forward. If you would like to work with quantity breaks but not use the version concept, then the option is to create several top items for the same part but with different quantities. The draw-back with this is of course that several structures are in play for the same part instead of just one. So, if you ask me several versions for the breaks is the correct way forward.

To be noticed is also that the markup handling is per version which means that the markup can be differentiated per version and quantity break, i.e. different price per unit depending on the how markups are setup for the versions.