Question

Returning Inventory - No PO Tied

• 12 January 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

As part of our business agreements, we have the ability to return inventory to our suppliers on an annual basis that show no movement.  We transitioned to IFS in early 2020 and majority of the inventory to be returned was purchased in our legacy system.

I am aware of how the RMA works for returns tied to customer orders as well as when a PO was generated within IFS.  Does anyone know how to return inventory when there is no PO tied to it within IFS?

Thank You

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

I would suggest creating a Financial Project - one per supplier that is involved - and then issue the inventory to that project.  Return the material on a shipping memo outside of IFS.  When you receive the credit from the supplier, have AP offset that credit against the same project.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

As far as I know, there is no specific window to return parts to a supplier which are not connected to a PO.

But I can suggest you to register that same supplier as a Customer. Then you can raise a customer order and deliver those part to that supplier.

Hope this will help you.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

As far as I know, there is no specific window to return parts to a supplier which are not connected to a PO.

This was looked at at another IFS customer I worked at. The Customer Order approach would generate OESHIP Inventory Transaction History… and corresponding financial transactions (even at zero price)? For that reason this approach was dropped.

I was wondering if the material could be moved to the supplier as if it were an Shop Order Outside Operation, and then scrapped. While different set of financial transactions but it shouldn’t show up as a Sale in reports. 

This I think a suffers from the lack of system support to generate the necessary paperwork to ship product to an outside supplier (at least in Apps8-SP1 there wasn’t anything I saw). 

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

As of now we don’t have any option for returning inventory parts to suppliers which do not have purchase references attached. Any way we can accept returns from customers even without CO references with RMA functionality.

But there may be some improvements to supplier shipment functionality to accommodate this kind of scenarios in future.

I can suggest one other option. This will not be a solution as well. But I thought t would be worth to mention :relaxed:.

Use “Issue inventory part” window.

You can simply issue the require qty from the inventory. Then you can add a note or something like that for auditing requirements. the physical movement of goods to the supplier has to be done separately. However in this scenario “NISS” transactions will be created.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Good Morning Anushka, 

I like both of your options involving the Customer Order and Issuing from Inventory.  My question becomes on the Issuance from inventory, how would we apply the credit?  It is an NISS transaction as I tested this morning.  Now I would need to know the offsetting transaction for credit once received.

Also, is the Supplier returns without a PO tie going to be in Enterprise or will it be exclusively in Aurena? 

Thank You

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

I like both of your options involving the Customer Order and Issuing from Inventory.  My question becomes on the Issuance from inventory, how would we apply the credit?  It is an NISS transaction as I tested this morning.  Now I would need to know the offsetting transaction for credit once received.

This is why I mentioned a financial project.  When issuing the material from inventory, it becomes a credit to inventory and debit to the project.  The debit is held until the credit is received from the supplier.  When the credit is received, it is applied to the project which should offset the inventory value.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Good Morning Anushka, 

Also, is the Supplier returns without a PO tie going to be in Enterprise or will it be exclusively in Aurena? 

Thank You

@JStack I agree that you do not have an option to apply for credit in both scenarios I suggested. As I also thing that flexibility should be there in the application.

However within this application design I can suggest below.

If you take the first scenario I suggested, CO is used to issue goods to the supplier. Here you can use customer invoice to apply for credit. You can issue a customer invoice for the supplier and get the payment. I do not know how this is possible in your scenario. This would not be a good suggestion as how you get a credit from a debit invoice. But this just came to my imagination. :wink:

Answering to your second question,

If a future improvement is made to the application it would be for both Aurena and IEE. However at this point I do not know when it is going to happen. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Thanks everyone for the responses.  I am going to get with our finance team with all options and go from there.