Question

Project Gantt Dependencies

• 20 August 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi, has anyone been able to find a way to more easily move around a large project in the gantt view to create and link dependencies? At the moment our users are having to hover close to the edge of the screen to move further down / up a project sequence to manage the dependencies. Ideally we could use a mouse scroll wheel but it seems as soon as you enter dependency mode on the gantt the scroll wheel is no longer available. Has anyone got a good work around for this please?

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi Andy,

These are the possiblities in Apps10;

1. Hold the “Ctrl”  button and then scroll.
  2. The option zoom is still available using the horizontal scroll bar in the top.
  3. Start using Copy SubProject with preset constraints and dependencies.
  4. Buy a bigger screen.

Hopefully this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi Andy,

These are the possiblities in Apps10;

1. Hold the “Ctrl”  button and then scroll.
  2. The option zoom is still available using the horizontal scroll bar in the top.
  3. Start using Copy SubProject with preset constraints and dependencies.
  4. Buy a bigger screen.

Hopefully this helps.

Hi, thank you for coming back with those suggestions. I’ve tried using the Ctrl key and the scroll wheel but it didn't give what we needed unfortunately. What we want to be able to do is move around the gantt screen (up and down) with the scroll wheel while added dependencies. Zooming out helps with this but our build of IFS includes really complex projects with a very large number of lines on them so even zoomed out to a maximum the users still need to scroll up and down when linking these dependencies. Have you got any other ideas? I agree that having a larger screen would help but I think we already have a number of users with 27” monitors and due to the size of projects they’re working on it still extends beyond the edge of the area that can be viewed.

Thanks,

Andy

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Other than manually adding the depencies on the tab “Planning” | Predecessors/Successors on the activities instead of in the Gantt, I see no other options.

27” should be large enough ;-), a little desk space is sometimes also appreciated.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Ok thanks for coming back on that :)