Question

Procurement of packing materials

• 19 May 2020
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi,

I have created a Packing Instruction in terms of Pallets and Cartons that can automatically create a packing structure to ship a variable large qty of a part. The way it can create the packing structure is really neat.

But does anyone know if there is a way for IFS to automatically procure the Pallets and Cartons (and any other packing materials) that would be needed for a Shipment. There doesn't seem to be a way of defining what’s needed in terms of Inventory Parts that would get picked up as a Demand in the system. I would like these to be ordered as and when required, in advance, so the packing structure for the Shipment could be created and the Pallets/Cartons ordered prior to actually packing the Parts.

Unless I’m missing something it appears as if the actual packing materials are always assumed to be on hand in the warehouse. But I can’t believe that’s the case, knowing the capability of IFS.

Thanks for your help!

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

There is a related post about this:

https://community.ifs.com/selling-crm-39/how-to-control-purchase-parts-used-in-handling-unit-2113

I have replied like this on this post:

If I get you correct you want to be able to plan and buy the package material required for you handling units? For instance keep track of how many pallets, boxes do I have in my inventory? How many are occupied and how many are free? Do I need to buy some more new pallets based on coming need etc?

This was discussed during the implementation of the Handling Unit feature. Unfortunately we did not have time to solve this within the time frame of the project. We have this in the product backlog, not sure when this will be started?