Question

pack into a HU when picking

• 9 July 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge +2
  • Do Gooder (Former Employee)
  • 1 reply

Hi,

just sending this to check whether anyone have the same demand as I do.

my client is using a tote (HU) when doing picking, tote is used as a gague to make sure all parts in each tote less than 60lb as they will convey this tote onto a conveyor line. 

I don’t see any current WADACO process available in APP10 update 8 for the senario i mentioned above.

kindly advise.

Thank you.

Ron 

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi Ron,

I’m not sure I completely follow what you’re trying to do but if you are trying to perform picking for shipment there is a WADACO data collection configuration called “PACK_INTO_HANDLING_UNIT_SHIP” that you could configure.  You would also have to allow access to this configuration by adjusting permissions.

We use this WADACO configuration in our picking process for shipping.

If you provide more details I can try to give you a more detailed answer.

William Klotz

Badge +2

William, thank you for your reply.

My client is using TOTE(HU) to pick up individual parts reserved by the system. The tote is used as a gague, parts put into the tote, should not over 50lb. then the tote will be put on the conveyor and diverted to the appropriate packing station.

the problem for me is, i cannot find an appropriate process in WADACO to pick the parts into thte tote when performing picking process. we have to reuse the existing tote,  in current IFS system, you have to add the tote to shipment before starting to pick, also, the existing tote cannot be added into shipment from WADACO process.

we tried “PACK_INTO_HANDLING_UNIT_SHIP” , it can only pack parts to the HU after parts are transferred to the shipment inventory location.

hope it clarify. i think we have to do a modification to create a new WADACO process. 

Thank you.

Ron

Badge +1

Hi Ron,

If you are picking into a Tote, does it matter if it goes to a Shipment location on IFS?

For example, a process I have used before is with some preprinted SSCC labels (or you could just as easily use your own) to first create a handling unit for the shipment (even if one exists physically, this doesn’t matter). The subsequent process isn’t always great, hence the need for your own unique identifier such as SSCC or use the Alt HU ID

Then when you create, define the SSCC/​​​​​​Alt HU ID and pass it through to the picking. Make that config return until the tote is full.

Default a theoretical Shipment location (eg PICKINPROGRESS) and when complete, use the config to move the HU to another (real) shipment location.

The trick is to avoid thinking of the Tote as an actual reusable HU in IFS, work on the basis that it is a one way on the system, even if it is reused in practice. Every time it will take a new SSCC/ Alt HU ID